Author Topic: schools  (Read 2520 times)

Offline yvette2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
schools
« on: Friday 17 April 09 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hello all,  I am a newbie, nice to see you all here the site looks good.
I have been researching on and off for about 5 years, but getting no where fast, so tend to put my file down for too long. but just picked it all up again :) have just found one of my Harvey's  is a teacher in Bristol,my question is, do you think he is a 'school' teacher ? and also where am I likely to find records and schools where he was, St Philip and Jacob, Bristol.

thanks Yvette
Williams, Harvey, Royall

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: schools
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 09 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Yvette

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Would you like to give his name and dates?  Have you followed him through the different census to see if his occupation is the same?

A little information here: http://www.bristolinformation.co.uk/schools/

Kind regards
Barbara
 :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline yvette2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 09 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara
He is Richard Harvey bn. appx 1818 Painswick, Gloucestershire.
1851 he is in Barton St. Mary, Tredworth. Occ. Day labourer 33 yrs
1861 he is in St philip & Jacob Bristol. Occ. Teacher 44 yrs

Just about to look on the 1841 census.
Williams, Harvey, Royall

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 09 14:16 BST (UK) »
1871 he is a Coal Manager !

His occupation certainly varied.

It looks as if he died in 1877, his death cert may reveal more:
Mar 1877  Clifton    6a   87          HaRVEY    Richard    aged 59   
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline yvette2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 April 09 14:22 BST (UK) »
Oh WOW Barbara, thanks so much for the info, :-* I cannot believe you found it so quickly :) I will certainly send for the death cert. .

Can I be so bold to ask another favour, I have hit a brick wall with my maiden name research, its very common, Williams.....  ?

Yvette
Williams, Harvey, Royall

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 April 09 14:27 BST (UK) »
Did you find him in 1841?  Do you have access to all the census or do you need the details for the 1871 census I gave?  I'm puzzled too, as to what kind of Teacher he was, having first been an Ag. Lab.  Was just going to look at the 1881 to see if occupation for Elizabeth said she was a teacher's widow or coal manager's widow.  I see her birthplace is Wales or Gloucester on different census.

As to your Williams family, were they from Gloucestershire?  If not (and in any case) it would be better to start a new post for them on the county board otherwise the information gets confusing.  If you can then give as much detail as possible and say what you already know and what you need to find out.

Kind regards
Barbara  :)

Offline yvette2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 April 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barbara, yes I have Richard on the 1871 census  I will look now on the 1841 see what I find. I have just bought credits to view, will let you know what I find. :)  I thought it strange too her birthplace saying Wales, and Gloucestershire.
ok  I will tell you about my williams's on the County board in a mo, they are from Helston in Cornwall, moving up to London.

thanks so much,

bye for now Yvette
Williams, Harvey, Royall

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 April 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage:  Jun 1848 Bristol  11   171
 HARVEY    Richard   and on same page      BRIDGE    Elizabeth

Elizabeth was from Wales in 1861 census (perhaps the enumerator misheard it!)  Youly 1871, Uley in 1881  -  Uley is in Gloucestershire abt. 18 miles from Bristol

No occupation for Elizabeth in 1881

Offline yvette2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 April 09 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a marriage cert. for Richard and Elizabeth, 1839 in Leckhampton Gloucester, she is a Davis

:)
Williams, Harvey, Royall