Author Topic: Is anyone going to Manchester General Cemetery that could fina a grave for me?  (Read 11622 times)

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi Rootschatters

Is anyone going to Manchester General Cemetery who could find a grave for me please? It is Grave 4787 in the Non-Conformist Section and my grandmother remembers visiting it in the 1940's as a young girl

Buried there are:
Lily Bennel bur. 1989
Walter William Cutler, bur. 1943
Florrie/Florence Cutler (Cutter in Register), bur. 1922
Mary Ann Cutler (Cutter in Register), bur. 1918
Kate Bennell bur. 1889

Edited: Hope someone can find it and tell me what it says

Matt :)
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone going to Manchester General Cemetery that could fina a grave for me?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 09 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

MGC is just down the road from my home, when my health improves a bit more I will go have a look for you.

It's now on my ever expanding todo list

Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone going to Manchester General Cemetery that could fina a grave for me?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 09 16:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks alot for the offer. My grandmother says that it is near the back wall - the wall on Boardman Street. I do hope you can find it. Would you be able to take a picture/note down the wording? I would owe you forever.

Get well soon.

Matt

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 09 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Boardman Street vanished many years ago, but I am glad you said that.

MGC is not one of the better looked after cemeteries, and if I find it my trusty camera will be in hand.

You can find a plan of the cemetery here plus others   http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,361649.0.html

Really had the stuffing knocked out of me but on the mend now.

Regards
Ken

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 April 09 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks ever so much, I live about 350 miles away so not easily accessible! My grandparents moved down south in 1964 from Harpurhey. My grandmother remembers MGC as 'Queens Park' because, obviously, it is in Queen's park. My grandfather remembers watching the fireworks in Queens Park. Neither of my grandparents remember Boardman Street, so I'm glad you said it had gone as I know they didn't get it wrong and that it is definitely Queens Park

I know this a longshot but do you know where Whittle Street is? It probably disappeared a long time ago too, but just thought I'd ask. The only time I heard of it was in a birth cert from 1891, but might as well ask.

Hope you're feeling ok.

Matt :)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 17:30 BST (UK) »
I know this a longshot but do you know where Whittle Street is? It probably disappeared a long time ago too, but just thought I'd ask. The only time I heard of it was in a birth cert from 1891, but might as well ask.

Do you know what area this Whittle Street was in (Harpurhey, Moston etc)? I have a few maps but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack - have you looked for it on the 1891 census?

Regards
Ken

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 18:18 BST (UK) »
I have asked my grandmother and she said she doesn't remember it but she said something about Tib Street - the Centre of Manchester she said.

Matt

Offline suegill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
There's 4 photos of Whittle Street on the old Manchester photos page here: http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Alker - Aspull, Hindley
Marsh - Atherton
Blain - Atherton
Gill - Atherton
Hogg - Loscoe, Crich
Harrison - Heanor, Ruddington
Earnshaw - Heanor
Cope - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley
Daykin - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 18:39 BST (UK) »
Found it  ;D

Whittle Street is still there just off Tib Street - I should have looked at multimap first, it has changed somewhat.

If you get hold of the Godfrey map Manchester 1891 code 104.07 it shows the houses but not the numbers.

Nice one suegill I forgot all about that site

Ken