Author Topic: Electoral Roll Lookup Please  (Read 2686 times)

Offline lisa23

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Electoral Roll Lookup Please
« on: Saturday 18 April 09 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi. Does anyone have access to the Electoral Roll. Looking for Sarah Jane Brown. I think she was living in the Fawkner Victoria area at the time. Need to check 1909 or 1914 Roll as she died in 1918. Hoping there is a William Henry Brown (brother) with her as well. Any help appreciated.

Lisa
Hodgson, Sorlie, Millett, Knight, Brown, Smith, Callagan, Rudd, Severn, Braxton, O’Dell, Purcell, Gorman, Finn, Larkings, Larkins, Coleman, Bernhard

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Roll Lookup Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 09 08:42 BST (UK) »
1914 Electoral Roll
Sarah Jane BROWN, 17 Somerset Pl Windsor, home duties, also William BROWN, carpenter at same address

There is another Sarah Jane Brown home duties at 28 Perth St Prahran, John David Brown, clerk also in Perth St so I guess the Somerset Place Browns are the ones you want

1909 Sarah Jane BROWN at 92 Bendigo St Prahran Gardens.  Only other BNrown at that address is Lily, dressmaker

:) Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lisa23

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 April 09 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Judith.
Might be asking you a bit much here but Sarah Jane Brown was in Heidelberg in 1917. She is buried in Coburg Cemetery. Do you think I am looking in the right area?

OK. Just found out the Heidelberg is in the district of Bourke. Can I ask of another favour please. Can you check for Sarah Jane Brown in 1914 census.

Hodgson, Sorlie, Millett, Knight, Brown, Smith, Callagan, Rudd, Severn, Braxton, O’Dell, Purcell, Gorman, Finn, Larkings, Larkins, Coleman, Bernhard

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 April 09 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Is she not the one in Prahran in 1914?  She could have moved in the next three years, perhaps.

The only Sarah Jane Browns on the electoral roll for District of Bourke are:

at sub-division of Heidelberg, Eltham, home duties in 1919 (I know you said she died in 1918, so not this one!)

at 78 High St Northcote, home duties 1914.  Can't see anyone else at the same address.

Of course, there are many "Sarah Brown"s  so if she didn't put her second forename in it would be very hard to find her.

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 April 09 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
If SARAH JANE is buried at the Coburg cemetery, she is most likely to be the one at Northcote as these are adjoining suburbs.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 April 09 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,
Just adding that I am not able to see SARAH JANE BROWN, under those names, on the database for the Coburg Cemetery in 1918/19.

There are women by that name, but not in that year.

There is a SARAH BROWN in 1919.  Perhaps this is her.

Does your information about her location come from a certificate source or some family information?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 April 09 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

It is likely that the Electoral Office was un-aware of deaths of any electors until they failed to attend polling place,  afterall, attendance was and still is compulsory in Aus! This would help explain the 1919 entry for that Eltham address.  Cheers, umm, my late father was a returning officer in mid 1950's to early 1980's.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 April 09 07:28 BST (UK) »
More info here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,375445.msg2489842.html#msg2489842

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=375921.new#new

Does her death cert show Usual Residence, sometimes abbreviated to U.R in the first column of her death certificate?

Voting was not compulsory in Australia until 1924.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lisa23

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 April 09 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Thanks for checking. Sarah Jane was also known as Janie and this is what she is buried as at Coburg. She died in Austin Hospital of Incurables, Heidelberg. She was there for at least 6 months before her death as this is where she wrote her will.

Lisa