Author Topic: 1841 look-up please Martin Straffon  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Jane Sarah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 look-up please Martin Straffon
« on: Saturday 18 April 09 16:28 BST (UK) »
I would be very grateful if someone could follow up Martin (aka Morton,Murton and Morgan ) Straffon (aka Straughan ) in the 1841 census for South Shields.
He was born in 1796 so presumably he would be the Head of the household.
I would like to know who the other members of the family are as I am trying to sort out "my" Straughan family.

With very many thanks
Jane Sarah

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 look-up please Martin Straffon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 April 09 16:36 BST (UK) »
Marter Straffon  45  Durham
Mary      "           41    "
Ann        "           18   "
John      "            13    "
Thomas   "          11    "
Mary      "              9   "

Address looks like Cornwallis Square

HO 107  298  3

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 April 09 16:42 BST (UK) »
I read his name on the image as Martin and his occupation is Shipwright

the n on the end of his name is different from the r on the end of a surname on opposite page - another mistranscription  ::)

Barbara
 :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Jane Sarah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 April 09 16:47 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks Jan and Barbara -so quick!
You've made my day.
I can now progress.

Best wishes
Jane Sarah

Offline Les10

• RootsChat Extra
  • My 3 x great grandfather William Botham 1781-1862
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 June 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane Sarah

I have just joined this site and noted your Straffon/Straughan family mentioned.

My mother was a Straffon (from Kent/London) and I have compiled a large tree. There is a family story that we originally came from the South Shields area and the names was spelt Straughan but pronounced Straffon.

With other researchers I have compiled a tree for the N W England family which includes a will.

There are at least two Morton/Murton Straffons as Alexander married an Eleanor Morton/Murton.

I would be most interested in your research.

Best wishes

Les10

Avins, Bocking, Botham, Broumton, Culling, Crotty, Dance, Flatman, Gardner, Godwin, Grout, Henry, Popkins, Steeden, Straffon, Thoday

Offline Jane Sarah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 11 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Les

Great to hear from you.iI was good to have the Straughan/Straffon connection confirmed.

My connection with the Straughan family is through my great-grandmother,Sarah Straughan. Her grandson(John Brampton) who is still alive says the name was pronounced Strawn.She was definitely from South Shields as were all her immediate ancestors as far as I know.

I have traced the above as far back as 1786 when Morton Straffon married Ann Hogg.
Their son Morton Straffon was born in1796 and he married Mary Robinson ,born c.1800.
John Robinson Straffon/Straughan was born in 1828 and he married Jessie Bridges, born 1833.
Their daughter Sarah was born in1855 and it was she who married my great-grandfather,William Henry Brampton in 1876

I hope this fits in with your research and I would be very pleased to receive any further information about this branch of the family.

Best wishes
Jane Sarah