Author Topic: Cummings Of Ballycarton.  (Read 28460 times)

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cummings Of Ballycarton.
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 19:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again you are a real angel!!!!

Are you cummins! I didn't think their were any in the area, we are related to them , did you get your tree any further than 1800? I'm struggling.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Owen C ,
No, I am not Cummins, but my great great Grandfather was James Cummings from Ballycarton Limavady who Married Elizabeth mc Dermott from Duncrun in Tamlaghtard Church 1871.  Their daughter Anne Elizabeth Cummings married Patrick Campbell in Derry in 1899.  Now I have been trying to go back further but I seem to have hit a brick wall at the moment. I am also trying to discover more about my Mc dermott connections.  I know that Great great granny Elizabeth's father was called Charles mcDermott. according to Griffiths valuation Charles Mcdermott was there in Duncrun in 1854.  How far back have you gone?

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Owen C ,
No, I am not Cummins, but my great great Grandfather was James Cummings from Ballycarton Limavady who Married Elizabeth mc Dermott from Duncrun in Tamlaghtard Church 1871.  Their daughter Anne Elizabeth Cummings married Patrick Campbell in Derry in 1899.  Now I have been trying to go back further but I seem to have hit a brick wall at the moment. I am also trying to discover more about my Mc dermott connections.  I know that Great great granny Elizabeth's father was called Charles mcDermott. according to Griffiths valuation Charles Mcdermott was there in Duncrun in 1854.  How far back have you gone?

Hi Summerhill,
I think i have seen that marriage somewhere, i think it was emerald ancestors.. i didn't have to do any research at all to get back to 1810 as the gravestone was already their, that being the gravestone of my great great great grandfather who lived to 85! :o You could say that i haven't done that much research because of that but i have been going through graveyards and church records and have found nothing at all. >:( The presbyterian church records are rubbish they just stop at 1800 much like the catholic ones, though i have found that ballykelly church have got records back to 1699 so i am going to try and find somthing in their as apparently all magilligan ones went too dunboe or ballykelly before magilligan was built and theirs no record of him baptised in dunboe so i shall try their but knowing my luck there will be nothing! ::) The cummings and cummins must be related as they are only one townland over and the surname is basically the same i have  a funny feeling that they separted and used a different form in the 1700s as there is a boy harry cumming is the 1740 census and no ins.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 21:26 BST (UK) »
That is great that you have been able to get back that far.  Mind you tombstones can & do often yield valuable information.
You have given me more food for thought about my search too.  Can you tell me are you related to James Cummings & Anne Elizabeth Cummings?

Now dont worry about not finding information in Dunboe or Ballykelly, as sometimes clergymen may have mis-spelt names in their parish register.  Also have you tried variations of the Cummings surname, Cummins, Commins, Cummings....
why I ask is on  each of my Campbell ancestors birth & baptismal certs their Mothers maiden name was recorded differently each time as Cummins, Commins, Cumings, Cumins,

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
That is great that you have been able to get back that far.  Mind you tombstones can & do often yield valuable information.
You have given me more food for thought about my search too.  Can you tell me are you related to James Cummings & Anne Elizabeth Cummings?

Now dont worry about not finding information in Dunboe or Ballykelly, as sometimes clergymen may have mis-spelt names in their parish register.  Also have you tried variations of the Cummings surname, Cummins, Commins, Cummings....
why I ask is on  each of my Campbell ancestors birth & baptismal certs their Mothers maiden name was recorded differently each time as Cummins, Commins, Cumings, Cumins,

I think i may be related to them, they married in ballerena rc chuch didn't they? It says in the records in emerald ancestors that he was cummins, hmmm, i don't know if you know this but i think i remember somewhere that he converted to be rc from presbyterian when he married her i think it was in emerald ancestors, their has to be something between the too families they have to be related! I take down the imformation whatever spelling i just look at dates as when i was over in coleraine library the records said mc cummins, which is obviously cummins. Does he have a child called john who married mary hastings, i'm trying to work out if i am related to your side

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 21:56 BST (UK) »
If he was born and raised in the Catholic church there wouldn't be a baptismal record for him in Presbyterian church registers.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
If he was born and raised in the Catholic church there wouldn't be a baptismal record for him in Presbyterian church registers.

No i just found something before, no need to get offended. Sorry... but can't you not convert religion. sorry summerhill ;D Its just that i found a john cummins whos father was james and he married in a presbyterian church just before his father and his father is james and my james only had one child

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:02 BST (UK) »
Well you have just answered a little hunch that I always had....
I had a definate feeling that Cummings must have been presbyterian or church of Ireland.  Thats where my missing connection is.... Thats very interesting indeed.  Do you know what James Cummings mother was called?  I have their marriage certificate if you would like it .  As I said before I know James Cummings father was definately James Cummings, its on their marriage certificate, but I would love to know what his mothers name was and where she was from. Also perhaps to go back further along the Cummings line.
also can you please tell me where i could try for church records for the Cummings ancestors besides Bellarena church. I also found their marriage on Emerald ancestors,and I also have some marriage certificates for other Cummings people too and i am not sure if they are related or not.  But you are most welcome to have them .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
I'm not the least bit offended but was just pointing out that if he was Catholic then he wouldn't have been baptised as a child in a Presbyterian church.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!