Author Topic: Cummings Of Ballycarton.  (Read 28461 times)

Offline Astropoet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cummings Of Ballycarton.
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 29 November 12 20:59 GMT (UK) »
To be honest,I don't know but it's possible.  Do know that the to-ing and fro-ing from Kilbarchan/Bridge of Weir to Limavady kept going at least until David's gt-grandchildren, my grandfather's cousins! So it's possible that it was a family tradition!

Offline spaarks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 03 December 12 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to fill in some gaps in my PAF files and wonder if anyone has any info.

1. Unlinked: Thomas Cummings and Lelita Miller, married 14Sep1854.
George Cummings and Elizabeth Taylor had James, Mary and David.
Might they also have had a son Thomas?

2. Anne Elizabeth Cummings - daughters Maureen and Margaret, birth dates?

3. Elizabeth McDermott (who married James Cummings), birth date?

4. Beatrice Mary Ellison, birth date?

5. Did James Cummings really have two sons named James (James Alexander and James Albert), albeit they were with different marriages.

Any info on running PAF on Linux would be appreciated. I am struggling with PAF Companion printing to pdf file.

Offline spaarks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 03 December 12 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention:  I have a copy of Thomas and Lelita's marriage cert (from Summerhill).
Thomas's father was George Cummings, and Lelita's was Samuel Miller, both Thomas and George were labourers, so Thomas was not a son of George and Elizabeth.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 16 December 12 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Re: Marriage of Thomas Cummings & Letitia Millar in 1854.
although Thomas' Father was George Cummings I would hazard a guess that they may have been related to the Ballycarton Cummings. Maybe distantly but I don;t have the proof as yet.

Offline CummingsDonaghyMiskimmins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm what Gortnamina says about the Cummings family originally being named MisKimmins, there was an issue with a child born out of wedlock and left on a train which back in those days brought shane on the family causing them to change there name to Cummings. As far as I know my Great Grandfather Samuel Cummings(His Brother Joe, Bar the door, my great aunt effie, i dont remember what effie was short for) parents or possibly their grandparents went by MisKimmins. There's umpteen different versions of the name from Cummings, Cummins, MisKimmins, MsKimmin, etc so it's hard to pinpoint unless you know first names and DOB's.id be interested in any info if anyone has been able to trace them. Thanks

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 24 March 24 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thats very interesting Cummings Donaghy Miskimmings!

I do know from records of Magilligan Presbyterian Church where my Cummings family of Ballycarton attended the name was spelt McCummings at first then changed to Cummings. This would have been from 1813 when the Church was established. The  Cummings family originated in Tircrevan but then a branch moved to Ballycarton. My4x Gt Grandfather was George Cumming from Paisley, Scotland married to Elizabeth Taylor from Moville, early 1800's 3 children David, James, & Mary. They settled in Ballycarton. I am descended from James Cummings who married a Catholic Sarah Jane MC Laughlin. James remained Presbyterian did not convert but wife and children were RC.

Gortinamina noted also the Baptism entry for Magilligan RC Church, 25th September 1865, Elizabeth Cummings ,daughter of Samuel Cummings and Mary Ann Coyle of Ballyhendry .  He believed that they were related to my Ballycarton Cummings.  Is this Samuel Cummings one of your ancestors?

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 24 March 24 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon Summerhill,

I am almost certain that I am a direct line descendant of the Cummins family from Tircrevin.

I believe we have messaged on here before. For clarity could you explain how you got to the marriage in Moville and connected that to Paisley in Scotland?

(I have done a Y-DNA test on FTDNA my results hint on an origin in southern Scotland rather than the central belt.)

Looking online I can see that there is a Harry Cumming living in Carnowry in 1740 and a family named “Muskimmin” (George, James, John and David) in same area in 1740.

I would be interested to know how you tied up the tircrevin family to Moville as I would assume that they would be more likely to be connected to the family in Carnowry due to distance.

I think that the Presbyterian church in Magilligan does not have records beyond the early 1800’s.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 24 March 24 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Gortanima believed that the Cummings family originally were from Tircrevan. There is an excellent book Called Magilligan Presbyterian Church available online from Lulu Publications and contains records from the Parish registers since its inception in 1813. The first baptism recorded there was a Tircrevan Cummings infant.

A relative who has done more research on the Cummings family discovered that Elizabeth Taylor was from Moville.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 24 March 24 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks