Author Topic: DAVIS family - Yeovil  (Read 8885 times)

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DAVIS family - Yeovil
« on: Sunday 19 April 09 06:39 BST (UK) »
Charles & Mary (nee Nicks) Davis migrated to Australia on the Hooghly in 1839.
Charles has several siblings - his parents being William & Elizabeth (nee Triptree) Davis.  Charles was born in 1815 Yeovil, Somerset, England.
I am trying to find ancestors for William & Elizabeth and if any more of their children migrated to Australia (possibly Charles or William).
Aileen
Pritchard, Hobbs, Hicks, Verner, Scott, Davis

Offline KDav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DAVIS family - Yeovil
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 10:37 GMT (UK) »
I live in South Australia and am a direct descendant of the Davis family that you refer to. I have lots of information if you are interested

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I would love to hear what information you have on the Davis family. I also love seeing photos if you have any.
Regards
Aileen

Offline KDav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I have the Davis family back to about 1755. My direct family line is back to Charles who came to Australia in 1839. I have the names of William and Elizabeth's Children but not much more. I believe that John Born 1826 came to Australia in about 1856, just after his mother died but I have not proved it as yet.

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 04:19 GMT (UK) »
My direct line is also Charles. I also live in South Australia and am wondering if we have had contact in the past. Why do you think John Davis came to Australia as this might give a lead to finding him. I cannot find any details for him except for a baptism date and 1841 English census. Your research goes back further than mine as the earliest date I have in my tree is William Davis b 1785.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am not sure what you have on the Triptree Family so will post a little of what I have found.

1851 Census Elizabeth Davis has her unm Sister MARY Triptree born c 1789 Yeovil with her.

Mary TRIPTREE Baptised 10 May 1789, St John, Yeovil
Parents HENRY/ELIZABETH
Cant find a Elizabeth 1787 to them but other Children Baptised  same Church are;
SARAH, 20 Oct 1784
ANN, 12 April 1791
HENRY, 11 March 1793
HARRIETT, 22 April 1795
WILLIAM, 17 December 1796

Henry TRIPTREE Married Betty BODINGHAM, 24 May 1784 St John

Now strangely there is this Baptism same Church;
*liza BODINGHAM, 28 Nov 1784, Parents Henry/Betty

Maybe this is a mistake by the Pastor and is your Elizabeth Triptree?

All above on FreeREG

Trish :)

EDIT, I did notice in the 1841 Census William Davis age 55 is not born in County

A Margaret BODINGHAM Married Amos TUCKER, 24 April 1782, St John, Yeovil,  justt before Henry Triptree Marred Elizabeth Bodinghan 1784, she was of Frome St. Quinton.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline KDav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 06:46 GMT (UK) »
I have very little on Elizabeth Triptree, Born 1787 Yeovil, Married William Davis 18th Nov 1805 Yeovil and died 05 March 1855 Yeovil. I do not have her parents but it would be good if you have them.
The Davis Family: I had a story from many years ago that John (third John) Left England after his Mother died. I do not know where, but I did find a John Davis that lived near some of our davis family at Langhorne Creek. I have a book from The Leedham Family and they talk about Eli and our family members. His birth year was the same as our John, 1826. He was called Eli Davis, but he did name his third son John Eli Davis. I have since been told that he had different parents but I am not sure if that is true.
I would love to give you a lot more information on the family, but I am not sure how. We live 4.5 hrs from Adelaide and we do travel there a lot as I have a son there. I have met some Davis family members in Port Pirie many years ago and many other areas.

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trish. I have very little on the Triptree branch. They have been very difficult to trace. I did have the baptism of Mary and the 1851 census with Elizabeth living with Mary her sister. It appears that there are other siblings as well to add to the tree. It does look like the pastor may have made a mistake with the surname. However, the dob is only a month later than Sarah Triptree. There seems to be a large gap between the birth of Sarah & Ann as well which seems a bit uncommon. I did not have the marriage of Henry. Henry is my 4th great-grandfather. It is good to now have the surname of Elizabeth his wife.
The 1841 census list William and Elizabeth from Yeovil, Somerset with their children George, Harriett, John and Elizabeth. The surname on the census has been transcribed as Dans.
Thanks once again
Aileen

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi KDav
I have 9 children for William Davis and Elizabeth Triptree. I have found information on the first 7 children but cannot find anything on our John b 1826 or Elizabeth b 1830.
I lived in Port Pirie for several years and did not realise that I had family members there until I began researching the family tree.
Trish has given us some information on the Triptree branch of the family.
I think I may possibly have seen a copy of some of your previous research. If so it would be good to compare what we have both discovered since that time.