Author Topic: Ann Alsop - born 1849 in Ireland  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
Ann Alsop - born 1849 in Ireland
« on: Sunday 19 April 09 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am trying to find further details of Ann Alsop, born around 1849 in Ireland.  By 1851 she is living with her parents in Burbage, Leicestershire, England.  Her parents are Richard and Bridget Alsop and Bridget lists herself as born in Ireland too.

As Richard appears on the 1841 Census in Burbage i suspect that he went to Ireland between 1841 and 1851 and married Bridget there and went on to have Ann there also.

If anyone can help me to find any further information on this - such as Ann's birthplace or the place of marriage in Ireland i would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance.

TB

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Alsop - born 1849 in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
I have now established that Bridget's maiden name was 'Caserty'.  If anybody can find Ann's birth or the marriage of John Alsop and Bridget Caserty, sometime between 1841 and 1849 in Ireland i would be most grateful!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 May 09 09:50 BST (UK) »
Full Civil BMD records began here in Ireland in 1864 and marriages for non-Catholic marriages started in 1845. So the Alsop/Castery marriage could be included in the Civil index if they were Church of Ireland, and they married during or after 1845.

I can see no Caserty marriage matches in Ireland on the familysearch Irish Civil index, and two Alsop entries (no Richard though). One is dated 1847 in Fermoy (Co. Cork) the other is dated 1851 in Dublin.

I suspect that Caserty may be a minister, or registrars misinterpreation of another name - possibly a more common Irish surname Cassidy ?

To find the birth of Ann and the marriage of her parents will require parish records, which will require details of a location or parish.

There are no surviving Irish census for that early, but you might just be lucky - just one Alsop entry appear on Griffiths Valuation (a tax survey) - and guess what his first name is .... Richard, the survey he is included in is dated 1847 - so that fits your dates.

Parish      ST PETER
Townland    HAROLD'S CROSS, EAST
Place Name    ROCKVILLE
County           DUBLIN

link to Griffiths : http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 May 09 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for that information Shane.

As this is my only Irish connection i am not sure how or whether i can progress my line of enquiry further.  Can i use the information that you have provided to assist my research further or what do you suggest that i try and do now?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 May 09 10:17 BST (UK) »
its not a definitive link - but the Harold's Cross link is place to start, without a location a search of parish records is next to impossible.

Hopefully Ann was born in the area and maybe they married in or near to Harold's Cross..

For your next step you could try to establish what parish records are survived for the area, and if there are any details on Richard in Dublin.

Do you know what Richard's occupation was ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 May 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Shane - i literally have no idea how to move this forward.

Richard was baptised in 1824 in Burbage, Leicestershire, England.

In the England 1841 census in Burbage, Richard is 14 and no trade is listed.  His father John is a Stocking Maker.  In the England 1851 census again back in Burbage, Richard is 26 and is described as a Stocking Weaver, as is his wife Bridget who is listed as being 24 at that time and from Ireland.  They also have two children in 1851 - Ann aged 2 and born in Ireland and Richard (described as aged 3 - although more likely 3 months as i have a birth regestration of Dec Q 1850) and born in Burbage, Leicestershire.

Hope this helps.

Regards

TB

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 May 09 11:06 BST (UK) »
I have a Thom's directory of Dublin for 1848 - which seems to fit the timeframe for Richard. This lists trades, businesses, and quite few private residents.

I'll have a look this evening and see if there is any Alsop entries.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 May 09 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane

I imagine that if that is our Richard they may have married between 1847 and 1848, assuming that Ann was born in wedlock!

Regards

TB

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 May 09 11:53 BST (UK) »
I should have thought of this earlier...  but the Stocking maker trade fits Harold's Cross perfectly. Harold's Cross had a very large Cotton Mill at Greenmount - going back at least to the 1850s. Steam and water power were involved - the mill was a large employer.

maybe Richard went to Greenmount for employment, help set something up, or to train people...

Shane

My Surname Interests