Author Topic: Ann Alsop - born 1849 in Ireland  (Read 4451 times)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Alsop - born 1849 in Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 May 09 12:22 BST (UK) »
This is all very interesting Shane. 

I hope that you are able to dig up some evidence to confirm the theory.  Hinckley was a significant Hosiery town during the 19th century with the majority of the town, and the surrounding villages including Burbage, employed in the trade in one form or another.

It would be great if we were lucky enough to find information on a hosiery connection in Ireland, together with a marriage between Richard and Bridget and a baptism for Ann to fit in!

Thanks again for your advice and hard work.

Regards

TB

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 May 09 17:33 BST (UK) »
there are two Richard Alsop entries in Thom's directory of Dublin for 1848 - with no obvious textile connections.

(These are the only two Alsop entries)

Richard Alsop, provision merchant, &c, Portobello Market, 32 Richmond Street, south

Richard Alsop esq., 4 Ormond terrace, Rathmines

(Portobello is near to Rathmines)

It's not clear if these are both for the same person or not. Usually if a person has business and home listing they are shown together with a res. prefix for the residence.

I have not been find any detail yet on ROCKVILLE, as mentioned in Griffiths. Harold's Cross East could include parts of Rathmines.

There are no Alsop entries in 1863
just to note - Thom's only includes Co. Dublin and a small part of Co. Wicklow.

Going back a couple of years (Slaters 1846) - I see possibly the same Richard Alsop, now a butter factor, Lower Kevin st. Kevin street is not that far from Rathmines &  Harold's Cross

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 May 09 19:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane.

It was all looking rather good earlier - now i am not so sure.  If only we could find a marriage to a Bridget listing Richard's father as John........

Is there anywhere else to look now?

TB

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 May 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
parish registers are the next step, but none from this part of Dublin are online at the moment. The Irish Family History foundation (pay web site) has transcripts for many counties but at the moment not Dublin City, about half of Cork etc.

I searched the free index on the IFHF web-site (www.irish-roots.ie) for Alsop entries and there is nothing for Ann in any timeframe. (there are other older Alsop records listed)

I have a feeling that the Harold Cross, Richard could be a connection - the rarity of the Alsop surname in Ireland plus the nearby textile connections seems too much of a coincidence to ignore.

The only way forward at the moment is parish register searches - the first details to establish are the Religion of Richard and family, and then which parish registers are in the possible area and are available to check.

Catholic registers are available in the National Library, on microfilm. Church of Ireland (Anglican) records are mostly at the Representative Church Body in Rathfarnham. This could be big task without being certain of the area(s) where the birth and marriage took place.

Pearce library in Dublin is a good source of Dublin records

The best bet is probably to hope that the Dublin city and other county records are added to the IFHF website - then you could search multiple counties & parishes in one go.

p.s. some parish microfilms can also be ordered from LDS centres

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 October 09 21:40 BST (UK) »
I have now had a small further lead on Bridget's father, as she was married for a second time in England in 1858.  Her father was Lawrence Castidy (Cassidy).

Not sure if that will help with any line of enquiry although i thought i would list it just in case!

Thanks in advance.

TB

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 October 09 11:04 BST (UK) »
you could have a look on the Cassidy site: www.cassidyfamily.com

Offline tinhatter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 July 11 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hello truebrit
saw your post and might have some info
i am an alsop from burbage and it came from my dads side
my grandma alsop was a smith before she married but i dont know her name as she died when i was young

my dads name was norman edward alsop
my dads brother and sister names were walter, elsie, mabel, stanley, eva and harold i think thats all of them

my name is now lloyd (was alsop)

if you have any info for me i would be very greatful
thanks

Offline lanxfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi tin hatter - I am a Payne - born in Burbage now living in Thornton Cleveleys near Blackpool -  my grandmother was Elsie Payne nee Alsop - I suppose that makes us related - wow - I am at present researching my family tree and would love to get in contact with you

if you have any info for me i would be very greatful
thanks