Author Topic: Hawke Bay  (Read 884 times)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hawke Bay
« on: Sunday 19 April 09 20:42 BST (UK) »
This is little more than a story, I have no idea how to take this further as I don't even have a name.  I may have posted here before a few years ago, and all the people I mention are now dead, so there's nobody to ask.

During the 1960's my dads uncle Ernest Beach came to see us in Monmouth where the family originate, he often came down from the Forest of Dean where he ran a pub to see his brother and nephews, but this time he arrived with a couple who I would estimate were in their 60's, they had returned on holiday from New Zealand and were visiting relatives.

I remember looking at a photograph of the New Zealand family, I seem to remember being told there were now about 60 children, grandchildren etc.   We used to get a few letters a year and a christmas card, but that stopped by the end of the 70's as I imagine people became old or passed away.

All I can remember from the address is Napier, Hawke Bay, and the surname is possibly Beach or Rudge (an outside chance Rogers) but if the woman was the relative then the surname could be anything.

If these were people my grandfather knew, and for there to be so many off spring in New Zealand then I would guess they emmigrated in the 1920's?  My dad seemed to know them and he was born in 1915.   I guess there is always an off chance that somebody might read this and say "That sounds like so and so's family"    cheers fred

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hawke Bay
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 09 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred

I'm afraid we really can't give you much help at this stage.

Have you tried looking through your "tree", for a family (or couple) with those surnames, who may have "disappeared " ??

You could try searching the passenger list index at the "findmypast" website, for persons entering New Zealand.
Perhaps there are names there which are familiar ?
(And 60 or so, children/grandchildren suggests it was a fairly large family ?)

You may also like to try >>

*   searching the NZ Historical BDM index (online) for deaths listed under those surnames.    (See the BDM link in the Resources section of this board).

*   telephone directory (for all of NZ) - there are a couple of listings for surname "BEACH" living in the Napier area.
http://yellow.co.nz/whitepages

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 09 00:46 BST (UK) »

---- Have you also tried searching here on RootsChat
for others who have those same surnames with perhaps a connection to New Zealand ?

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 09 09:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lucy - There is a missing brother Albert James Beach, and I'm waiting for the 1911 census to see where he is as a teenager, I'm sure it would have been talked about if he'd died in the First World War, there's nothing obvious in the records.  So many people used middle names, there's a missing sister too, Lucy Kathleen Beach, I've looked for a death or marriage, sometimes moving forward is more difficult than going back.

I have no idea why the 100 year rule exists for census, I can legally get copies of certificates etc. almost up to the present day, fathers name and occupation, mothers maiden name, their address, and that's all you can see on any census
Joe Bloggs age 40, day dreamer, born somewhere
Mary bloggs, age 39, day dreamers wife, born somewhere else
And possibly a list of little day dreamers all living at No 10 Dream Street, Happytown.
What is so top secret?
I'll stop moaning now, cheers Fred

Offline RonElder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 09 10:18 BST (UK) »
 Just a wee bit of local knowledge that may make a difference with the search engines.

"Hawke Bay" refers to the bay itself - ie the expanse of water bonded by the Mahia Peninsula in the north and Cape Kidnappers in the south.
The province is called "Hawkes Bay" (no apostrophe - very modern!).  So Napier should be described as "Napier, Hawkes Bay".

Who knows - it might make a difference. (Sorry I don't know any Beach family in Napier - I do know some of the beaches  :-)  )

Ron Elder, New Zealand
Elder:  Scotland
Gardyne: Scotland
Menlove: Shropshire, England
Haigh:  Lancashire, England
Kirby:  Lancashire, England
Carr:  New Hampshire, USA