Author Topic: Henry Hamilton Douglas New York  (Read 1956 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Henry Hamilton Douglas New York
« on: Saturday 19 February 05 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Just wondering if anyone with US expertise can help find this man....I am at a loss with American Gen im afraid. I Have tried to find him at different times without any success when we have been fortunate enough to have access to some free US census material. Tha Majority of what I  know of this man prior to his marriage in Durham England is really only family heresay

The Heresay

The Family r said to have been from Manhattan New York  (Ships Chandlers Sailmakers) Father James Douglas an American Sea Captain (Naval or Merchant Unknown)...I have tried for census records in the past for Manhattan without any luck at all and have never found a way to find a birth. At One stage I came upon a list of Sea Captains and literally hundrends of James Douglas's

What is Known

Henry Hamilton Douglas jumped ship in Durham England. (Date Unknown) An American Midshipman. He Married in Durham 1872. On the marriage certificate His father is listed as James Douglas Sea Captain....At this time Henry is 20 years of age. Making Birth of about 1852. I had been hoping he would appear on the Durham 1871 census but alas no sign of him there......Henry and his family Emigrated to South Australia in 1879.

New information on this man has just come to light this week where his Place of Birth is listed as Brooklyn New York not Manhattan. Wondering if this may make a difference in locating him.

Can anybody help Please......Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Hamilton Douglas New York
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 05 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Brooklyn does make a huge difference in trying to find a person in NYC.  Here is a great link for Brooklyn resources.

http://www.bklyn-genealogy-info.com/

I would also suggest getting a birth record from the link below in NYC.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/home.shtml

Here is a list of their holdings- Brooklyn is included
http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/holdings.shtml

I have done a lot of research with Brooklyn resources and am happy to answer any questions.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive