Author Topic: Burtons in Duns & Hutton  (Read 2445 times)

Offline ab939

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burtons in Duns & Hutton
« on: Monday 20 April 09 08:14 BST (UK) »
This is my first posting to this list

I am trying to find out any information about a John Burton (my GGGG Grandfather) who was the Sheriffs Officer in Duns between at least 1830 to 1841. In 1841 he was living at Castle Street

John was born c1761 in Berwickshire (where I do not know) and died 15th July 1841 and was buried in Duns on 18th July 1841 (from Scottish Records). Have looked in the Berwickshire MI's for Duns but have not found any details of his grave

He was married to a Mary Strange who was born in England c1768 and died in Duns on 7th May 1830 and was buried on 10th May 1830

I have been unable to find where they married as yet.

John and Mary had at least one son Robert who was born in England in 1794 (location unknown), however he married in Duns in 1817 to a Jane Dennis (or Dennison) Between 1817 & 1825 he was the School Master in Duns. He died in Hutton 14th April 1858 where he is buried. Scottish records show that at the time of his death his parents were Father - John Burton, Sheriff's Officer (Deceased) & Mother - Margaret Burton (nee Armstrong) (Deceased)

I believe that Mary Strange & Margaret Armstrong are the same person.

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me find out more about John Burton as I have now reached a dead end and do not know where to turn to find out more about him or his role as a Sheriffs Officer or who his parents were etc.

I am also looking for anyone else who is researching Burton's in Berwickshire. There is an old family story that the family were originally called Haliburton (not sure on the exact spelling) - reason for change unknown

Thanks for reading

Darren Burton (Sussex)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Burtons in Duns & Hutton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Darren

The Borders FHS don't appear to have any published details for Duns Monumental Inscriptions.

If the family were connected to the Parish Church there may be some merit in contacting the minister of the church as he has a list of names detailed on headstones within the churchyard available by e-mail,  (though to be fair a stone dating to the early 1800's may not be legible).

The following page gives some history about the church and more details about the headstone lists;

http://www.dunsparishchurch.org.uk/about/history

Another Duns site/society you may find useful

http://www.dunsehistorysociety.co.uk/

==

Hutton churchyard has a large number of stones, many now removed from the plots but placed around what appears to be an out building in the churchyard (the "building" is covered in foliage so it may actually be something different). Again the FHS don't appear to have any available lists of Hutton available to purchase.

It may be a red herring but there was a chapel (destroyed in the mid 1500's) close to Haliburton Farm on the outskirts of Galashiels, a long shot i know but the name may be relevant.

Glen