Author Topic: Looking for Marriage Details - Parish of Porstea  (Read 6973 times)

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Marriage Details - Parish of Porstea
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 03 May 09 16:06 BST (UK) »
GRO I'm at a loss for :)

Sorry to have confused you but the certificate to which you posted the link is headed 'CERTIFIED COPY OF AN ENTRY OF  MARRIAGE GIVEN AT THE GENERAL REGISTER OFFICE', which is what prompted me to search for the original entry in the microfiche produced from filming of the local Parish Register.

I should explain that GRO marriage certs are usually photocopies taken from images of hand-written copies forwarded to them by local Superintendent Registrars and, as such, are subject to human error in extracting details from the originals.  Had the image of the original entry in the Parish Register been clearer, I would have advised obtaining a photocopy from the Portsmouth Record Office, the repository for the Portsea St Mary Parish Registers.

To some this might seem an unnecessary expense but there are advantages:  in one case I was able to establish - by comparing original signatures on a birth certificate and a marriage certificate as a witness - the identity of a 'wife' in a couple for whom no marriage references have been identified in the GRO index.  Hopefully this might one day transpire to be an 'error of omission' on the part of a Superintendent Registrar, as I find it hard to believe that the supposed wife would have produced a large number of children without the sanctity of marriage ... but then I can't find evidence of the death, or existence after 1891, of the husband's first wife ...    ???
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 03 May 09 22:23 BST (UK) »
It needs to be remembered that after 1 July 1837, there are three possible occurrences of marriage entries that could be obtained, but there may be differences between them. 

The most useful, in that it is the original, is the one in the parish marriage register from the church in question.  In this case this will be held by Portsmouth Record Office. This is the one that will include original signatures. However, only film or fiche copies are open to public inspection.

Then there is the entry that could be obtained from the Superintendant Registrar's office in the registration ditrict covering the church.  This would be Portsmouth/Portsea.  However it would be a transcription of the parish register entry.  It would not contain any original signatures.

Finally there is the certificate from the General Register Office, which would be a further transcription of the transcription from the local Supertendant Registrar's office.

The last two are open to a multitude of mistakes especially if the writing on the original entry is poor.

The one dee-jay has viewed is likely to be the best option.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elliotjenkins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 21 August 19 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I appreciate this is a very old chat, but I wanted to just say thank you for all of the help you've put in here.

The John Jenkins in this thread is my 4th Great Grandfather (John > Henry > Albert E > my Grandfather, Charles), and I found the exchange of your messages whilst looking for the exact information you were helping to decipher - John's father's name.

I felt compelled to just say a quick thanks, as I have found the community regarding ancestral research to be very welcoming and willing to help.

Now I just need to find Henry's father's name!

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 04:19 BST (UK) »
Don't know if there is a link or whether these will assist in elimination?

Marriage Sept 18th 1842 at Alverstoke Parish Church
Henry JENKINS [sgd] of full age Bachelor Merchant of Gosport    Father: James JENKINS Merchant
Elizabeth HARDING [sgd] Spinster      Gosport   Father:  John HARDING Builder
Witnesses:  x Jane Rewlyn [sgd];  Stepn Silver [sgd]
[DJ note: Someone has kindly transcribed witness Jane’s name in the register as her writing is illegible.]

Hampshire Telegraph - Saturday 20 August 1898   DEATH
JENKINS-On July 17th, suddenly. at his residence at Todmorden, William John Jenkins, son of the late James Jenkins, of St. Thomas's-street, Portsmouth, also brother to the late Henry Arthur Jenkins, of St. Thomas's-street, Portsmouth, aged 70 years.

See Census references for 1841 St Thomas Street, Portsmouth HO 107 412/2 Schedule 58 page 2&
1851 St Thomas Street, Portsmouth   ref: HO 107 1658 folio 625 page 21

Hampshire Telegraph - Saturday 15 October 1853
JENKINS- MARLOW - On the 12th instant, at Kingston, Portsea, Mr. John Jenkins, of Gosport, to Miss Mary Marlow, of Southampton.

SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 09:30 BST (UK) »
1841 Census - King Street, Alverstoke Parish, Gosport   HO107 / 388 /  9 pages 5 & 6 Enumeration Schedule 25
Henry JENKINS    45   Labourer   All born in County [adult ages ‘rounded down' to nearest 5]
Mary      35
George   14
John      11
Maria      6
William   4
Amelia   8 mos

JENKINS, William          WEST 
GRO Reference: 1837  D Quarter in ALVERSTOKE  Volume 07  Page 9

JENKINS, Amelia          WEST 
GRO Reference: 1840  D Quarter in ALVERSTOKE  Volume 07  Page 19

JENKINS, Walter  James     WEST 
GRO Reference: 1846  D Quarter in ALVERSTOKE  Volume 07  Page 20

Marriage by Banns in the Parish of Portsea
29 Nov  1825   Henry JENKINS Bachelor = Mary Ann WEST Spinster both otp
No 388       Witnesses:  Ann GATHERS; Thomas JENKINS.  All parties made their marks

DEATH
JENKINS, Henry       51 
GRO Reference: 1847  J Quarter in ALVERSTOKE  Volume 07  Page 17

1851 Blue Anchor Yard,  Alverstoke, Gosport HO107 1660 folio 433 page 38
Mary Ann JENKINS   W[idow]   44   Laundress
Amelia               10   Scholar
Sarah               8   Scholar
Walter               4   Scholar

Offline elliotjenkins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 28 August 19 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much DJ

I think I'm down a rabbit hole and second guessing myself.

Henry seems to Marry Ann West in 1825 (witnessed by Thomas Jenkins, presumably a brother?), is registered on the Census as still living with her in 1841, marries Elizabeth Harding in 1842, and dies 5 years later.

I'm assuming; the father of John Jenkins (Henry Jenkins) and the Henry Arthur Jenkins who marries Elizabeth Harding in 1842 are two different Henrys?? But perhaps they just seem to both conveniently be from Alverstoke.

Thanks so much for your info and help!

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 29 August 19 21:36 BST (UK) »
I'm assuming; the father of John Jenkins (Henry Jenkins) and the Henry Arthur Jenkins who marries Elizabeth Harding in 1842 are two different Henrys??
Absolutely!