Author Topic: Grace Darling MAJORBANK & Thomas Burn SAMSON  (Read 4582 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Grace Darling MAJORBANK & Thomas Burn SAMSON
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 19:26 BST (UK) »
If I read that occupation correctly (it was a bit blurred)

wiki says:
"The Riding Officer was an occupation common during the eighteenth century around the coastlines of Britain. The principal duty of the office was to visit the coast within their predefined riding range, to meet and correspond with the other riding officers either in person or by letter, and to inquire and learn if there were any smuggled goods upon the coast, or landed, and to get the best information regarding this booty, and to acquaint the Officers of the Customs all over the shire. He always kept a journal reporting all his activities.

He was paid between twenty to forty pounds a year, and was forbidden to take fees or gratuities. He was also expected to buy, care for and accommodate his own horse. He was appointed by a constitution of the Treasury, and had a deputation from the Commissioner of Customs. He took the oaths of office, and gave bond and security. He received printed instructions for his conduct with his deputation. He endeavored to get information as to any illicit practices, and makes seizures whenever he could"

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 19:30 BST (UK) »
occupation looks like Riding Officer of the Customs

That's how I read it. It would tie in nicely with him being at Wells-next-the -Sea in 1841.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 21:27 BST (UK) »
Here is Eleanor's Baptism at Stiffkey in Norfolk, father's occupation Riding Officer of the Customs   ;D  ;D
Entry 132.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/stiffkey.htm

Also, Mary's baptism, entry 160, Grace's 208.

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 21:30 BST (UK) »
Wow!  :o

A flurry of activity over there while I slept!  Let's see where to start....

When I first started my journey into the addictive world of family tree research I took everything as Gospel and entered things onto my tree with great glee.  Then I gradually realised that not all the info was 'extracted records' and some were more 'guestimates' and 'wishful thinking'.  Now I'm trying to triple check things I have and double check new things.

I used the 'member submitted' records before I learned about the IGI - but I'm still not expert in navigating that - and am in awe of those of you who glean so much from there.  And with the censuses I had written off people as the ages didn't match - until someone on here had pointed out about rounding up and down - tricky!

As my family didn't grow up with the birth family from whom this stems I've had no one to ask about the ancestors - I'm pretty solid from when they arrived here - their descendants have published articles and most city councils have a free cemetery search here - yay! and some even have the photo of the gravestone - marvelous.

Thank you all for all your help - that's wonderful and I am very grateful.

;D

Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 21:47 BST (UK) »
Here's a possibility for Grace's birth (I realise that the birthplace conflicts with census information - but it's an unusual surname)

IGI extracted birth, Bathgate, West Lothian:
22nd January 1796; Grace Marjoribanks, daughter of Alexander Marjoribanks and Catherine Lawrie.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
Usually pronounced Marshbanks, or Marchbanks, if that's any help  :D

Must be the right occupation then, JenB  :D

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
Kiwi Girl,

Unfortunately none of the baptisms found so far give Grace's maiden surname.

What evidence have you got to show that Thomas Burn Samson married Grace Darling Majorbanks/Marjoribanks?

Jennifer

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 07:10 BST (UK) »
All I was going on was the family search site - I have no idea where the researcher got that info...  that was kind of why I was trying to confirm it, but didn't know how to start - so I went with the ones I was least sure of and tried to work though - I'm pretty certain about the NZ contingent and their parents Jane Samson and John McNeil Boyd - I was trying to work out her parents to recheck what I'd gleefully added in my first rush on family search 2 years ago.

That's why your guidance and tips are so appreciated!  I'd never heard of http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch - and wow am I having some fun!

:D
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline export

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 May 10 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've been tracing this family for years, don't waste your time on Grace Darling Majorbank, I don't really know why John McNeil Boyd put that in on his wife's death certificate, her maiden name was Grace Cuthbertson. I have a bucket of info if you are interested, John McNeil's brothers and parents and Grace's parents and siblings etc. I have photos also. I take it you are a descendant of GG Boyd as he was the only one of this family to have children. I am also.