Author Topic: My nemesis!  (Read 2234 times)

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My nemesis!
« on: Tuesday 21 April 09 03:56 BST (UK) »
Buoyed up with 1 result, I would like to try for 2 out of 2!
I have been on this site before regarding Godfrey Moore b: 1866 in Western Australia and married to Maria Petronella Vorster b: 17/6/1900 Cape Province (taken from the Vorster site) but no known marriage.  She married Petrus Johannes Francois Jacobs after the death of Godfrey, but again no known marriage date and was married to him when she died in Krugersdorf Hospital on the 15/7/1957.
There is a big discrepancy in ages and I would think Maria would have to be around 20 when she married Godfrey and allowing for the daughter Protea Rosalind Moore to be at least the same age when she married MJ Botha that would bring it up to the late 1930/1940's.
My question is would the records be better kept in those years so I could find out at least some of the dates I want.  Also at the time of her death Maria was living in the Leeuwpoort district of Potchesfstroom, so what part of South Africa would that be and I would presume the daughter would most probably be living near to the part of the world as well - I hope!
Kind regards
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: My nemesis!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 01:07 BST (UK) »

:)

Hi Bev

"Potch" the nickname for Potchefstroom was established in 1838.  It is currently in the North West Province of South Africa, just an hour's drive, North of Johannesburg.  Before the province was renamed, it used to be in the Transvaal, and was formerly, the Capital of the Transvaal.    8)

Just to let you know, it would have been the Krugersdorp Hospital that Maria died in.   :-[

Also, literal translation for Leeuwpoort, is the ravine of the lions. Lions were prolific in the area, even in modern times, and some farmers even now, are forced to shoot them, when they wander onto their farms, killing livestock.    :'(

I can't unfortunately answer your question about the records for those days, but have you tried N.A.A.I.R.S.? they should cover the 1930's - 40's, at least.   ::)

Cheers

Danchaslyn

MOE,   Norway, Swaziland, and Zululand, South Africa
JORGENSON, Hole, Ringerike, Buskurud, Norway
AITKEN,  Scotland, England, India, Island of St Helena, South Africa
LOBB,  India and London
WALSH,  India and England
SHORT,  Yorkshire, England, Island of St Helena
BATEMAN,  Island of St Helena, U.S.A.
YUILL,  U.S.A.
FIRTH,  Yorkshire, Engand
LIPTROT, various counties of England
SMITH,  various counties of England
LYNCH,  Yorkshire, England, Rhodesia and South Africa

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 03:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Danchaslyn,
Thanks for your reply giving me some translations regarding some of the towns etc.  It makes the place come a bit alive for me.
What I am doing now is just going to N.A.A.I.R.S and putting the names down and seeing what comes up.  I was surprised at the number of Moore's that came up!
Unfortunately, they don't really give much detail and if I followed up everyone that seemed a bit informative, I would be broke within a week - but I will keep trying.  ::) ::) ::)
Unfortunately, there is only initials for the husband of the child, which doesn't help at all.
Kind regards
Bev

MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 11:55 BST (UK) »

Hi Bev

Glad to be of help................meant to say also, that as she was in Leeuwpoort district, and not in Potch itself, she was probably on a farm?  The farms there, are, and were, vast.  Very, very dry and arid.    8)
Also wanted to say that Potch was the capital of the very old Transvaal Republic.

In any lookups that I've tried to do for my searches, I have found the same thing, not only on N.A.A.I.R.S., but elsewhere, always so many same initials and family names, and without spending a fortune, and buying just about each and every certificate, you can't be sure!   >:(

I've by no means finished mine, have so many to do still.........some relatives are just so elusive!   ::)

Also with the surnames involved and the regions lived in, its unlikely that they were English speaking, more like Afrikaans.   ;)

Cheers

Danchaslyn

LOBB,  India and London
YUILL,  U.S.A.

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 12:07 BST (UK) »

Hello Bev

Have a look at Baravian's post in 'South Africa', "tracing my family in south Africa"..........
(there could be an interesting connection?)     ;)

Baravian has an Eileen Moore, born, Cape Town, 1918!     ;D

Cheers

Danchaslyn

LOBB,  India and London
YUILL,  U.S.A.

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again Danchaslyn,
I hate to be a 'dummy' but how do I find the Baravians post?
Kind regards
Bev

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 09:41 BST (UK) »

Hi Bev

If you knew what I don't know how to do!  need my kids to come visit and tell me how to post a link................if I could do that, you wouldn't have the prob you have now, I could have linked you to Baravian's post!    ;)

I've just had another check now, and for the moment, its the post straight after your's, on the South Africa main index board of RootsChat.

Go to Forum, at top of page, click on Forum, scroll down until you come to the whole South African section, find the Topic, "Tracing my Family in South Africa", you will see the Author of the post is Baravian.  Click on it, and hopefully.........fingers crossed!    ;D

Good luck!   :D

Cheers

Danchaslyn
LOBB,  India and London
YUILL,  U.S.A.

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 May 09 02:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you !!! :D :D
Bev

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 May 09 11:01 BST (UK) »

Hi BevL

Glad to be of help..................please let me know how you get on?

Also, are you any good at working out relationships please?  I'm having such great info posted on one of my 'Aitken' threads, in England, Huntingonshire, but am at a loss as to how to work out how I'm distantly related to another, brand new RC member?

Cheers

Danchaslyn
LOBB,  India and London
YUILL,  U.S.A.