Author Topic: Mary MULLIN (nee PATTERSON) Boarding House 1850-1880??  (Read 2229 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary MULLIN (nee PATTERSON) Boarding House 1850-1880??
« on: Tuesday 21 April 09 06:27 BST (UK) »
Family sources tell me that my great great grandmother operated a boarding house/lodging house in the Ballaarat area of Victoria during the period 1850 to 1880. Her name was Mary MULLIN wife of William MULLIN surveyor. Mary had been born near Belfast in Ulster about 1815 and the family came to Australia about 1850. Mary had a son John (born ~ 1846), Matilda Jane (born 1834 and but married Alexander LAMBERT in Melbourne in 1852) and Maria (born 1841). Maria married Henry BOARDMAN in 1861 and settled at Smythes Creek area. Any information about boarding house connections with this name is very much appreciated. Thanks, Rob Bell.

Offline valerie kehoe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mary MULLIN (nee PATTERSON) Boarding House 1850-1880??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 April 09 09:12 BST (UK) »
...Rob ...you could try the 'Victoria State Library' (on-line) they have an 'Ask a Librarian' service - they will check their many records including business directories etc.  Valerie (WA)
Lond.//Kent/Surrey  Bryan  
Cork (Dunmanway) O'Brien
London//Lambeth    Small   Muggeridge 
L'pool /Preston.       Kehoe  McDonough  Coupe  
Suffolk                     Rowe   Mortimer   Mowle

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 April 09 00:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valerie I will try that avenue.
Cheers, Rob

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 April 09 00:41 BST (UK) »
The earliest directories of which I am aware in Victoria, are the five Sands and Kenny Melbourne Directories 1857-1861.

Have you searched these -
Niven's Directory for the City of Ballarat, Ballarat East & Sebastapol,  1875, 1882
Including Clunes, Creswick, Smythes &c.

I would imagine as I noticed your post on a Ballarat genealogy website, that you have made enquiries to them about the boarding house in Ballarat. 

I had a search for William MULLIN, Surveyor Vic.  I have two Government Surveyors in my tree and both are mentioned in Government Gazettes for not only their 'licence' [will have to check with or not that was the correct word] but also their reports which were detailed in the Govt Gazettes of the day ie during the 1850, 1860, 1870's.    I can find nothing for a W MULLIN or Wm MULLIN.  If I google  I can also find references to my two men, including town plans, maps, mining surveys etc.  May be worth you doing a search of the Govt Gazettes for more info about William  MULLIN.

Cheers
Cando

Edit to amend sp.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk