Author Topic: Stack Family / Meelin, Cork County  (Read 10870 times)

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Stack Family / Meelin, Cork County
« on: Tuesday 21 April 09 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi There....

Thanks to the 1911 census, I have just found out that my great great grandmother, came from Meelin
(Spelt Mealing, on the transcription )

After many years of searching, I have actually found my great grandmother's birth certificate, anf find that her mother's maiden name was Catherine STACK. According to the census, she was born c1839 at Meelin....can anyone help, or point me in the direction of the correct research aids ?

Many Thanks

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Stack Family / Meelin, Cork County
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 23:28 BST (UK) »
I come from this area

Meelin was in the old paish of Clonfert which included Newmarket, Rockchapel and Meelin. Kanturk was also included in the parish away back.

Parish records for Clonfert are available on this website but i dont use it myself as i find the charges are too high.
http://corknortheast.brsgenealogy.com/

Here are the Stack's in Griffiths valuation around 1851 for Clonfert.

Surname Forename Townland Parish County
Michael Stack, Knockahorrea, East Clonfert Cork
John Stack, Knockduff, Upper Clonfert Cork

Griffiths only lists the head of house of those who were renting or held land and property.

Knockahorrea and Knockduff can both be considered Meelin area.

Do you know who Catherine Stack married and where they married and date?

Newmarket is the home of the McAuliffe clan.

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 11:25 BST (UK) »
Gerard.......

Thank you so much for this information, it really is helpful.

My Catherine STACK married Maurice MCAULIFFE !! I am just awaiting the marriage certificate.

It has taken me years to find my great grandmothers birth certificate which I received last week. I had tried every conceivable variation of the name, but eventually found it, transcribed as McRULLIFE.
I did know from her marriage certificate, that her father was Maurice / Morris McAuliffe, but on said MC, the name is spelt in three different ways ! As you also have the name in your tree, you may have had the same problems.......

I have only managed to find Catherine and Maurice on the 1861 English census, before they married.
My great grand mother was born in Middlesborough, but I cannot find them at all on any other census after that, until 1911, when Catherine was a widow, living with her daughter and son in law, still in Middlesborough......

I have not, as yet, done any Irish research, so expect to see my name on this forum again !

Thank you , so very much again

With kind Regards

JeannieR

Offline GAJM

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 18:04 BST (UK) »
Let me know what the marriage record for Maurice McAuliffe and Catherine Stack gives you information wise.

My grand mother was Mary McAuliffe she was b.1914 in Newmarket near Meelin i have an interest in the McAuliffe clan was at their gathering last year.

For some reason the names Maurice McAuliffe and Catherine Stack seem familar like i have seem them on some database before or something but i could be mistaken.

Let me know when you have the marriage cert

Ger

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 April 09 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Gerard.....

The marriage certificate arrived this morning 

9th November 1861

Maurice McAuliffe / age 24 / bachelor/ labourer in Ironworks / father DERBY McAULIFFE farm labouer

Catherine Stack / age 21 / spinster / father JOHN STACK farm labourer

Witnesses were James Carrol, and Mary Collins

The marriage took place at St Mary's Catholic Church, Middlesborough

As far as I can see, both fathers must have remained in Ireland.

Do's the name GOULD mean anything to you ?

Regards

JeannieR

Offline GAJM

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 09 14:06 BST (UK) »
Looks likely that Catherine Stack was the daughter of John Stack of Knockduff, Meelin.

The John Stack in Knockduff in Griffiths valuation was only renting a house and garden and held no land.

I can send you an email with a copy of the Griffiths page.

So looks likely he was a Labourer.

Derby is usually a nickname for the name Jeremiah.

So Maurice father would  likely have being Jeremiah(Derby)

Offline Jackiemaree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 June 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi JeanieR
I wonder if we have a connection? William Stack my great grandfather married Ellen O'Keeffe in 1882 at the Catholic Church at Meelin. His father was John.  I believe John's wife was Joan/Johanna Collins.  William's brother, Garrett was born about 1836.  There is about 16 year difference between these two so I am sure there are many more to find.

William arrived in Australia March 1884

Jackie

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 June 09 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Jackie......

How lovely to hear from you. I do hope their is some connection. However, apart from what I have already mentioned on the site already...I am no further forward...or backward.....

Their are some interesting factors though. The witness at my 3 X grand mothers wedding was a Mary Collins. Could be a connection to Johanna ? ALSO, Maurice McAuliffe , her son, named one of his son's , Maurice GARRETT McAuliffe, who was born 1901.....so this is looking very interesting. I also know that Catherine Stack, and Maurice McAuliffe had a daughter called Johanna, although she died in infancy.

Do you know from which port your William sailed ? and did Garrett join him ? Do you know if Garrett married ?

I am not really any good at Irish research, but a whizz in England, and getting to know my way around Scottish sites now too.

I will dig around and see what else I can find out.

By the way, do's the name Gould mean anything to you ?

Look forward to hearing from you

JeannieR

Offline Jackiemaree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 June 09 05:16 BST (UK) »
Hi JeannieR,
I don't have much either but I do have good feelings about this.  I believe Garrett came to Australia  a few years before William but as there were a few Garrett Stacks that came out I cannot confirm him on the shipping records. The witnesses to William and Ellen's marriage in Meelin were Cornelius Collins and Hannah Quinlan. 
William & Ellen had 8 children:- John Garrett, William, James, Johanna, Daniel, Margaret and Catherine.
There are a lot of errors on many of our certificates eg. on the Marriage cert of Garrett (my grandfather) it had his parents as William and Ellen (Roche) Stack but on Garrett,(Wiliam's brother) it states his parents are John and Johanna Collins.
William was born 14 January 1852 and Garrett was born about 1836.
This is the closest I have come (hopefully) to find siblings

Regards
Jackiemaree