Author Topic: Joseph Henry HUMPHRIES - Victoria  (Read 5511 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Henry HUMPHRIES - Victoria
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 08:57 BST (UK) »
I hope you found the information useful from the electoral rolls, vital records and burial record.

Dagmar's father's death certificate may give place of his birth ie if  known to the informant.

CHRISTOFFERSEN Charles John
Parents unknown 
62 years  at Port Melbourne  1919  Reg#18655

Places of birth of both parents are usually on the birth certificates of their children.

I am wondering after reading your last post if you have read the responses on Page 1 of this thread. :-\ 

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 09:21 BST (UK) »
Place of birth on the marriage cert...

CHRISTOFFERSON Charlie born Norway
MEIER Janet born Port Melbourne
1890  Reg#8265

This cert would give their occupations, places of birth and their  parents' names and their occupations.

Charles and Janet are on the electoral roll in 1909 at Wallan Wallan, he is a village settler and Janet Home duties.

Cheers
Cando

Edit to add electoral roll info.

Offline pollie123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando et al - WOW!!! I'm totally blown away by your response

I cannot thank you people enough! I'm totally amazed at the amount of info you've found for me, I'm trying to digest it all at the moment. 

When I found Joseph's service record I was really excited, hoping to trace his family in Australia but this wasn't to be.

You are probably right about the date that Dagmar signed for Joseph's medals but the 8 doesn't look like the 2 but 1923 does seem a more likely option. The main thing though, is that they were received. I was also wondering if Dagmar's pension stopped when she remarried.

Thank you all so much! especially Cando for all your input time & effort

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 10:04 BST (UK) »
Our observant tropicalj - Jenn,  noted the possible date of the receipt by Dagmar in 1923 in the service record.

Pleased you found the posts on page 1. ;D

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 10:10 BST (UK) »
According to his service record, his father's name & address were crossed out & replaced by his wife's & his family were not aware of his death. Pollie123

Pollie the crossing out of Joseph's family in England on his enlistment papers, occurred as when he enlisted he was single and after marriage his wife, Dagmar became he legal next of kin.  The army would have only contacted his NOK noted on his file.  I hope I have explained that point clearly.  Someone else is quite welcome to 'have a go' ;D

Cheers
Cando

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 10:56 BST (UK) »
According to his service record, his father's name & address were crossed out & replaced by his wife's & his family were not aware of his death. Pollie123

Pollie the crossing out of Joseph's family in England on his enlistment papers, occurred as when he enlisted he was single and after marriage his wife, Dagmar became he legal next of kin.  The army would have only contacted his NOK noted on his file.  I hope I have explained that point clearly.  Someone else is quite welcome to 'have a go' ;D

Cheers
Cando
I  think  you explained  that very well Cando .  As was said in  the original post after he left England  he never contacted his family again.  Perhaps  there was a falling out?. 
It is possible  his  wife  may  never  had his families address in England  to  try and contact  them. 

No mention of his family on  the A.I.F. link just  his  wife  who was his Next of Kin

http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/showPerson?pid=146857
Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline pollie123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando

Thank you for this explanation - from the information you have supplied, I have now found the service record for Dagmar's brother Christopher Charles (father's name Charles Johan) it's really interesting reading. Apparently, on this occasion his medal was sent to his father & not his wife she wrote  a letter to the Military to complain. Christopher was one of the lucky ones, he did return home! 

Best wishes

Offline pollie123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith

If you can send me some names & dates, I'll see what I can find but don't hold your breath. Searching in this time frame is really difficult to prove but you may be lucky with parish records.

I'd be happy to help! (or try)