Author Topic: Elizabeth McKey b 1804 Guernsey  (Read 2018 times)

Offline dodgerpierce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth McKey b 1804 Guernsey
« on: Wednesday 22 April 09 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I just posted her on the Durham look up site as she spent most of her adult life there, but any ideas how I could get birth info on someone born in Guernsey.  I should add that I already spent money to have a woman in Guernsey look in the Town Church Register, where she found other McKey/McKay/Mackie births but not my Elizabeth.  All I know is her birth date 13 Dec 1804 which is from a family bible, and the fact that she was born in Guernsey as she put that on every census form from 1841 to 1881.  Her married name was Fryar (married Robert Fryar 2 Mar 1826 Wallsend, Northumberland), but I don't have any other info on her.  I can't find parents, siblings, etc. and am looking for any advice.

Any ideas from the experts?

Thanks from Canada,

Patti
Ellison, Cocks, Shaw, Lucken, Peake, Thomson, Broadbent, Wilcox, Halliday, Turner, Latham, Caisley, Fryar, Mortimore, Marshall, Brice, Borland

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth McKey b 1804 Guernsey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 April 09 21:08 BST (UK) »
Patti,

We don’t know whether there is any connection, but we have an Alexander Mackie who was born about 1761 who we believe came down from Scotland (as shown in 1841 census) via Chislehurst, Kent, England where he had a daughter by the name of Harriett Mackie in 1789 (according to IGI and 1841 Census) with a wife by the name of Mary Mills (marriage date and location unknown).

He is then next is found in Guernsey, where he had a son by the name of Richard Alexander Mackie in 1806 – and we have the family for him going forward.

Alexander Mackie was a pensioner (and we assume a widow) with his daughter in 1841 in Guernsey

Obviously there appears to be large gap between 1789 and 1806, so logically we assume there would be other children.

How can we establish of your “Elizabeth Mackey” is connected with this family ?

Any ideas ??

Regards,

Al & Al
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Surnames : Buss (Kent), D'Alton (Wimbledon), Millington (Hawarden), Hales (Kent), Mackie (Guernsey), Rabjohns (Devon), Roberts (Norfolk), Roser (Kent), Stevens (Buckinghamshire and Middlesex), Townshend (Norfolk), Weatherburn, Whiddett (Kent), Young (Kent)

Offline dodgerpierce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 April 09 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Al and AL,

Well, that is very interesting.  I can at least help you out as I have some siblings of your Harriett and Richard Alexander.  When I paid for some research I got a list of 6 other baptisms on Guernsey about the same time.  It looks like 3 of them are children of Alexander Mackie (one being your Richard A, a Joseph, and possibly a third, John, but this has a blank for the mother's name so not a sure thing). 
I don't know how to find out if there is a connection between our two families.  Without a baptism for Elizabeth showing her parents, it is just conjecture, however it does seem like a distinct possibility.  She put down Guernsey as her birthplace in 5 different census returns and there can't have been many families of the same name on that island.  What country are you posting from?
I will keep working on getting a copy of her marriage cert. to see if a father is named but I am not holding my breath on that one.
Anyone else with ideas to help us out????
I know very little about Guernsey except that it looks like a nice place to vacation or live.

Thanks for responding,

Patti
Ellison, Cocks, Shaw, Lucken, Peake, Thomson, Broadbent, Wilcox, Halliday, Turner, Latham, Caisley, Fryar, Mortimore, Marshall, Brice, Borland

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 April 09 08:23 BST (UK) »
Patti,

Further to your posting below, we are born and live in England (and celebrated St. Georges Day yesterday!) and whilst have visited Jersey a number of years ago, we have not yet got round to visiting Guernsey.

You make mention of Joseph and John and would like to know details of these baptisms and also the other three, to see if there were any connections with our line. As you say, there cannot have been many families with this name in the Channel Islands.

What were the baptism dates for Joseph and John – does it leave a gap for your Elizabeths birth date ?

We cannot check our records at present (as currently at work !), but from memory, there were various family members down the Richard A line who go over to France, on to USA and Canada, so it would be good to find a link with Elizabeth

Regards,

Al & Al
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Surnames : Buss (Kent), D'Alton (Wimbledon), Millington (Hawarden), Hales (Kent), Mackie (Guernsey), Rabjohns (Devon), Roberts (Norfolk), Roser (Kent), Stevens (Buckinghamshire and Middlesex), Townshend (Norfolk), Weatherburn, Whiddett (Kent), Young (Kent)

Offline Alandal

• RootsChat Member
  • "We Three Hales"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 April 09 18:57 BST (UK) »
Patti,

Many thanks for the copy research results which has provided some more lines for us to investigate – but can see that it did not give you any answer concerning your Elizabeth.

We are not sure when our Alexander Mackie came over from England to Guernsey, but from the brief information we have there is a gap of seventeen years between Harriett (born 1789) and Richard (born 1806), so we would have expected there to have been more children during this period.

Does anyone else know of other records or documents that could be looked into ?

Regards,

Al & Al   (and yes, there is a Mr Al and a Mrs Al !)

Offline dodgerpierce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 April 09 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Al & Al,

I'm glad I could help with the info on Guernsey Mackies.  It is a bit disappointing that Elizabeth's birth seems not to have been registered at the town church, so it is good to know that I could help you anyway.  The timing is about right for her to be a sibling of your Richard A, but as for proof.....
We both seem to have these gaps in the lives of these Guernsey kids.  It is hard to say whether we will see more records come out of Guernsey in the future or not.  I'll keep poking around and let you know if I find anything relevant.
I hope we turn out to be connected.  That would be great.

Cheers,

Patti