Author Topic: Cote & Marois  (Read 3629 times)

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cote & Marois
« on: Thursday 23 April 09 00:41 BST (UK) »
I am trying any information about Hedwig Cote and her family,  Hedwig married Louis Joseph Marois. They were both circa 1899 in or around Quebec City. They married in Quebec City. Hedwig died 1970 and Louis died 1947, both died and were buried in Quebec City.

Thanks, Alison
Featherstonhaugh; Doran; Murray; Gray

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cote & Marois
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 April 09 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

When you say 'her family' do you mean her children with Mr MARIOS - or her parents, siblings etc?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 April 09 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly,
I'm interested in her or her parents, or her husband. I've been looking on ancestry, however, I don't have access to the Canadian records. I noticed a marriage between a Pierre Louis Joseph Marois and Marie Edwidge Cote in Quebec which may be them.
I've been searching for quite some time and I'm at a total loss.
Alison

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 April 09 04:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

You can search the 1901 and 1911 here
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

The 1911 has a 19 yr old Hedwidge Cote - dau of Joseph and Laura, whose other children are Leonidas, Blanche, Alice & Yvonne - Enumeration District 7, St. Jean ward of Quebec Centre, Quebec. They are on page 8

In 1901, the family is also in  St. Jean ward of Quebec Centre, Quebec. They are on page 1
Parents Joseph & Laura, Children (8 girls, 1 boy) : Albertine, Blanche, Alice, Edwidge, Ivonne, Albani, Annette, Leonidas,  Germaine

This Hedwidge Cote is born 2 March 1892, according to the 1901 Census record - a bit older than your one ?

I did notice a lot of swapping between middle names and first names in some of the COTE families I looked at between 1901/1911.

Do you have any clues at all from the  marriage lines of Hedwig and Louis Joseph??

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 April 09 09:06 BST (UK) »
I found the marriage you mentioned in the Drouin Collection at Ancestry and here are the basics (my French isn't very good so please bear with me):

Québec (St-Jean-Baptiste)

On 28 Apr 1919, Pierre Louis Joseph Marois, son of Pierre Marois and his wife Imelda Trudel married Marie Edwidge Cote, daughter of Joseph Cote and Laura Langlois.

Here's a possible marriage for Joseph and Laura:

Portneuf (Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs)

On 6 Feb 1885, Joseph Cote, son of Michel Cote and Agnes Gignac married Marie Laura Langlois, daughter of Felix Langlois and Elizabeth Piche.

Here's a possible marriage for Michel and Agnes:

Neuville

3 Oct 1854, Michel Cote, son of Germain Cote and Margarite Lortie married Agnesse Gignac, daughter of Edward Gignac and Anastasie M? (I can't make out her surname but it starts with a "M").

Here's a possible marriage for Felix and Elizabeth:

Cap-Santé

On 17 Jul 1849, Felix Langlois, son of Joseph Langlois and Genevieve Marcotte married Elizabeth Piche, daughter of Pierre Piche and Josephte Giroulx.

Here's a possible marriage for Pierre and Imelda:

L'Ancienne-Lorette Notre-Dame-de-L'Annonciation

On 10 Jan 1893, Pierre Marois, son of Canut Marois and Anastasie Meunier married Marie Imelda Trudel, daughter of Louis Trudel and Emilie Gauvin.

Here's a possible marriage for Canut and Anastasie:

St-Augustin-de-Desmaures

On 6 Jul 1867, Canut Marois married Anastasie Meunier.

I couldn't make out much of the details because the image was hard to read.

I found a baptism for Marie Edwidge/Hedwidge Cote at Québec (St-Jean-Baptiste) which occurred on 2 Mar 1891. In the margin it has Edwidge and in the body of the entry it has Hedwidge. Parents were Joseph Cote and Laura Langlois. The godparents were Real Bertrand and Rebecca Langlois.

There were two other entries for similar names (M Edwige Cote and Marie Edwige Laura Cote) in 1891 and 1905 but the parents listed were different so they weren't duplicate entries.

There were a lot more entries listed so you may want to consider taking out a two week trial of Ancestry.ca to go through the Drouin Collection for more information and double-check my "translations".

The family in in St. Jean Ward, Quebec, Quebec on the 1891 census. Here are links to the images at Library and Archives Canada (There are two pages per image. Joseph is the last entry on the bottom page of the first link and the rest of the family is at the top of the second link):
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0655/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0654/

If you would like to search for some of the other names mentioned, the 1881 and 1891 Canada census are searchable by name and have images at Library and Archives Canada. Here's a link:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/census/index-e.html

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 April 09 17:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ambly and Jacquie,

I'll look over your information later today. This is absolutely wonderful.

I tend to think I had taken a rough guess at Hedgewig's birth date as I had nothing to go by other than my husband knew her name and her husband's name, also the fact that they never left Quebec City.

We do have a small family reunion with the Marois'.

Thanks, I look forward to reviewing everything this evening.

Alison

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 April 09 20:22 BST (UK) »
With Edwidge Coté's date of birth given as 2 Mar on 1901 census, the date I gave from the parish records may actually be her birth date and not baptism date. Did I mention my French isn't that great? :P

I found a baptism/birth for Pierre Louis Joseph Marois:

St-Augustin-de-Desmaures

29 Oct 1893: Pierre Louis Joseph Marois, son of Pierre Marois and Imelda Trudell. The godparents were Louis Trudell and Marianne ?ida Gauvin.

If you do get a free trial to Ancestry.ca, a couple of tips regarding the Drouin Collection:

1) There are a lot of entries in the index that don't have forenames given. The full names are in the actual records but for some reason weren't included by the transcribers in the index.
2) There are quite a few transcription errors in the index due to hard to read documents (difficult handwritting, faint writing, etc).

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 April 09 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hello

Took a look at the birth record and it was on the same day as baptism. "Née ce jour"

The date of birth was 2 MAR 1892 (le deux mars mils huit cent quatre-vingt-douze)

Rebecca Langlois was Aunt to Hedgewig. The father was a  carter = Charretier, as was the godfather.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby