Author Topic: completed more/moir  (Read 6210 times)

Offline harley08

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
completed more/moir
« on: Thursday 23 April 09 01:32 BST (UK) »
I am searching for any information on James More/Moir and Janet Davidson who lived in Chapel of Garioch at Leggatts Den and then at Little Blackton, Alvah. I am related to them through their son Alexander who was born in 1821.   Alexander came to Australia in 1848

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: more/moir
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 April 09 14:32 BST (UK) »
What is it you want to know? What information do you have already to prevent duplication of effort - Bmds, census records?

They married 17th December 1817 Chapel of Garioch ( IGI extracted)

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline harley08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 April 09 15:23 BST (UK) »
Anything anyone has would be great. My ancestor Alexander Moir was born to James and Janet in 1821 in Chapel of Garioch and he came to Australia in 1848. Any information on James and Janet (parents, siblings etc) would be especially appreciated.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 April 09 15:39 BST (UK) »
Useful websites for finding out more are:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - official parish records and census entries etc.

http://www.familysearch.org  - also refered to by one of it's datasets the IGI

http://www.freecen.org.uk/ - free census records

The IGI has extracted records of 8 children born to James and Janet. Alexander was the second child.

James 1818
Alexander 1821
David 1822
Isabel 1824
John 1826
James 1828
Janet 1830
Jean 1832

All christened Chapel of Garioch.

As you know they are in Legates Den in C of G for the 1841 census.

The best way to trace James and Janet's parents would be to find Death certificates for them if they lived past 1855 and the start of civil registration, or headstones. Otherwise the marriage entry in the parish register may have more details such as parish of birth, names of fathers, or witnesses who may be family members. This can be viewed on Scotland's people for a small fee.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 April 09 01:08 BST (UK) »
As James was still alive in 1861, you will be able to get his death cert from ScotlandsPeople.

MOIR James Widow 76 Fundholder     born in Aberdeenshire - Inverury and living with his son John.

You should be able to find information on the siblings by searching the '61 census on FreeCen.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline mcmon30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: completed more/moir
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 December 09 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi to you all re Little Blackton.

I am a direct descendant from James More/Moir and Janet Davidson through their 4th son John. He later called himself Jonathon. They were at Little Blackton when my Grandfather John was born and he subsequently went to Australia.
The death certificate is of no value re finding the parents of James as Jonathon, with whom James was living, failed to add any details to the certificate. I have been trying to get past this block for 15 years but as yet have had no conclusive evidence. The death certificate shows James to be 86 but this does not tie up with the ages at the census of 1841,1851, or 1861.
My estimation is that he may well have been 80 years and then the dates do line up a little more and make it 1783 as his birth date. I wonder if any of the other parties have had any more luck.
I have been to Little Blackton and the family who own the property now are working slowly to restore it. It makes you wonder what happened to the family when in one census John was a successful farmer having built the size to over 1000 acres - to then find himself renting at Waterside near Forres.
 I have a lot of data so if you have any questions fire away.

Cheers John

Offline mcmon30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi to Jamjar and Kirsty from Australia

I read your info with interest as you seem to have your hand on the pulse in regard to Genealogical research.

Could I please pass the facts re James MORE/Moir to see if you can offer any new possibles.

The family were fairly solid in following family names handed down to offspring.

The first James born 1818 seems to go off the radar so we are still unsure if he died or left home early as he was gone by 1841 census. The second James appears as the 5th son and ends up near Forres married to a widow who had a son - no children. Were on a farm at Kinloss.
If you look at the names the second son was Alexander and he was a mystery until recently - confirmed by the entries above from Haley 08.
The first girl is Isabel and the second is Janet. Do you think that James' father was James, father in law was Alexander, Mother was Isabel and mother in law is Janet?

So far no combination looks possible.

Another interesting fact is that one of the children has a witness HELEN MORE.
Married Jonathon Davie.Helen More could be a sister of James???
Cheers for now John

Offline harley08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

A letter has come to light from a relative that was written 25 years ago in regards to Alexander Moir.  I don't know how much truth there is in it but it states that either Alexander came to Australia because he had chest trouble due to the climate or he couldn't get on with his family.  The letter also says that the family moved to Leggatts Den from Reschivet Farm in 1829 and accumulated their wealth from pharmaceutical interests.

if anyone can shed any light on this let me know, no one in my family knew anything of this before and this letter has just surfaced after my aunty passed away.

It also says that Alexander married a Sarah Mackeridge in 1885 and they had 6 more children but I cannot find any record of this marriage

Jenni

Offline harley08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 22:47 GMT (UK) »
John was not kidding about handing down family names in the Moir family.

James and John have been very popular names within our family, with my own son having James as a middle name, as has my grandson.  My aunties' names are Isobel and Jean, the same as Alexanders sisters.

Jenni