Author Topic: Ann Gunter born 1812 in Tenby Look up request  (Read 3837 times)

Offline bjames57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Gunter born 1812 in Tenby Look up request
« on: Friday 24 April 09 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi can someone please help me locate my 3xgreat grandmother Ann Gunter, according to the 1851 Census she was born in Tenby married Henry Lewis in 1836 and lived in Kingsmoor Begelly, they had two children James and Priscilla who was born in July 1838 a month after her father Henry was killed in a mining accident at the Thomas Chapel Collery St Issells Begelly.

I am also looking for William James who was born in St Twynnells in 1843 according to the 1871 census from his marriage to Priscialla Lewis in 1866 I know that his father was called Thomas James.

If anyone can help me place these two key characters in my family history it would be a great help .

Thanks
Sheard Family Batley, Lepton, Dewsbury
Squire(s) Family Batley, Hanging Heaton Dewsbury Chidswell
Nelson Family Hanging Heaton Birstall
James Family Barnsley, Glamorganshire, Pembrokeshire  Stackpole Elidor / Woodsend, Begelly
Lewis Family Begelly, Reynoldston / Reynalton Pembrokeshire
Gunter Family St Issells, Tenby Pwmbrokeshire

Offline jonm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Gunter born 1812 in Tenby Look up request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 09 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hello

I can help with the Gunter part.

The Tenby birthplace stated in 1851 is likely an error - by the enumerator? Ann Gunter was  probably baptised to 5 July 1812 at St Issells, the parish to the north of Tenby. Her parents were George Gunter and Sarah (nee Badham). Both the Gunter and Badham families were heavily involved in the local coal business as miners. I have a hunch that she died in March 1869 at Dawes (a farm on the south west edge of Kingsmoor with a couple of labourers' cottages attached to it at the time) and was buried in Begelly churchyard 13/3/1869.

BTW...Thomas Chapel (and its colliery) is in Begelly parish. The accident there killed 6 miners.

I have the baptism dates for Henry and Ann's 2 children if you want them.

Jon

Offline bjames57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 09 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks that would be brilliant if you have them Henry and Ann's Daughter is my 2xgt grandmother Priscilla who married William James their son Henry his son clifford James was the last member of the family to be born in Wales - Clifford is my paternal grandfather.   So any information you have would be greatly appreciated thanks
James Family Barnsley, Glamorganshire, Pembrokeshire  Stackpole Elidor / Woodsend, Begelly

Offline bjames57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 September 09 21:20 BST (UK) »
I finally got a copy of Ann's death certificate she died within six months of both of her parents George and Sarah. She died of heart disease at Dawes Farm.   I am planning to visit the area next week thanks for giving me that initial lead.

Have you ever come across Ann Lewis and her children or George and Sarah Gunter in the 1841 Census?  try as I might I have not yet found either, I suspect if I do ever find them I will find them all together as the census occured at the time of Henry's death and Ann's confinement so I imagine she went home to her mother as was the tradition of the times.

Offline jonm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 September 09 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update on Ann Lewis. What date did she die?

As to the 1841 census, I can't see either her or her parents. YOur conclusion that she was living with her parents makes good sense as does the fact that they were all ommitted from the 1841 census.

The St Issells tithe award is dated 30/9/1842 and George Gunter appears in it, holding a cottage and 1 acre of moor as "occupier". This suggests he was around not long after  the 1841 census. If you are visiting the Pembrokeshire Record Office while you are down in the Saundersfoot area you can view the tithe map as they have a copy of it.

There's another document they hold there that might be of interest. The owner of the freehold for George's land in the tithe, the Greville estate, sold this part of its estate in the 1860s. I have a note that the sales particulars are available at the PRO and include aplan of the land for sale and it references George Gunter. Cat # D/LJ/1255. It would be interesting to see if he was still living in the same place as at the time of the tithe.

J

Offline bjames57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 September 09 18:31 BST (UK) »
thanks very much for the information, George and his wife Sarah remained in St Issells until their death in 1868 aged 84 and 86, so I will certainly go looking for the tithe map thank you for the lead.

Best wishes
Barry

Offline bjames57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 September 09 18:38 BST (UK) »
SORRY I forgot to say Ann died on 9th March 1869 of heart disease at Dawes Farm, an inquest was held which I found rather unusual, she was also listed as working in a coal mine and aged 55 years.

Offline Floweb

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 February 22 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know if this is any help but I had a great grandmother who lived in Lower Frog Street in Tenby then moved to Swansea about 1900. She had a relative named Rier Gunter. Her name was Charlotte Gunter, in my search there was a connection to St Issells. There is a clock above the shops in Tenby called Gunters clock well known to local people. Hope this helps a little.