Author Topic: "Barraks" Ffestiniog  (Read 5405 times)

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
"Barraks" Ffestiniog
« on: Friday 24 April 09 19:01 BST (UK) »
I think I have identified my Jones family in the 1881 census at an address which looks to be "Barraks" in Festiniog.  Does anyone know where/what this place was, please?  Was it some sort of temporary accommodation - it looks as though quite a number of the residents were slate quarry workers, although there are other occupations listed.  The only other information I have is that it came under RG11 5550.
Owen, Thomas, Webb, Wilcox, Reynolds, Rees

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Barraks" Ffestiniog
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 09 00:35 BST (UK) »
      Haven't time to run down the actual census entry, but the 'barracks' were called 'common lodging houses' in the jargon of the period, and were intended mainly for the use of quarrymen who lived outside the parish and came to the quarries only for the working week, going home at its end to their families as time and distance allowed.
                                Pinot

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 09 13:12 BST (UK) »
There is some information about these 'barracks' if you google.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 09 14:22 BST (UK) »
Another link which gives you a good idea of the type and nature of the Barracks, in this case, Anglesea Barracks, http://www.penmorfa.com/Slate/angleseybarracks.html

I have had the pleasure of visiting these and was amazed that the miners used to travel, walk generally, from Anglesey to work in the week and then return home for the weekend.

Well worth a visit.

Jo

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 09 19:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much to Pinot, Heywood and Jo for this information.  Sorry not to have replied before - didn't realise I had to look for replies - thought I just had to check to see whether any messages had come in!  I really must take more lessons.
Dianne

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 09 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi happylady,

The 'barracks' were mainly dormitories/living quarters at slate quarries. Ffestiniog had several quarries, so he probably was there. Can look up 1871 census, and possibly 1891, for that area if you wish.

Regards

Quarryman
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 April 09 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Quarryman.  I THINK my Jones family were living at 5 New Street, Ffestiniog at one stage.  Am not certain, but one of my g.grandmothers was a Mary Jones, born either 1874 or 1872.  It's been v. difficult pinning her down.  We think she lied about her age when she married John Owen from Anglesey - have bought several certificates but they seem incorrect.  The New Street is as a result of several red herrings and a suggestion from someone also looking for a Mary Jones. 

Dianne

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi happylady,

Looked at the 1871 census for Ffestiniog - several Jones families in New Street, but one has a Mary. Only trouble is that she is 4 in 1871.  The family appears possibly to have moved to High Street by 1881.

Can keep digging in 1871/1881 for you - but really need few more family details, like who were Mary's parents. My Mary's father is Robert and mother just shown as M. Both born in Caernarfonshire.

Regards

Quarryman
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, Quarryman.  When my Mary died, her death certificate age would have meant she had been born in 1874, although we think she gave it as 1872 when she married John Owen.  It would help if I could find the marriage, but so many girls named Mary Jones married men named John Owen during the likely years that we don't know which is theirs (this via FreeBMD) and I can't afford all the certificates.  I did send away for the one which was most obvious/likely, but it turned out to be wrong.  Don't even know where they married, although it was likely to be Ffestiniog.  He was from Anglesey but, again, don't know exactly where.  He is another of my brick walls.  Know his year date (1870) but that's it.  Again, so many babies were named John Owen in 1870 - and they also lived on farms, like 'my' John - that I can't afford all the certificates.  Suspect his father was Richard or John.

Back to Mary Jones.  Little else is known, although we think she had a middle name of Elizabeth.  It is possible that she had a sister named Catherine, but we have no knowledge of her parents, other than that father was a slate quarryman, not that this helps, given the region! Mary and John Owen had four children, the first in 1893 or 4.  We think he was born in Ffestiniog, along with the following two children, then the last one was born in Tonypandy, South Wales, in 1904.

Anyway, again, thanks so much for your interest.