Author Topic: Anderson family Cambridgeshire  (Read 3126 times)

Offline sheena58

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anderson family Cambridgeshire
« on: Friday 24 April 09 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm trying to find out which of the many Andersons in Cambridgeshire were part of my 'tree' as it were. There are far too many listed on the BMD index to make it viable for me to buy certificates without at least attempting to narrow it down a bit and, if nothing else eliminate some 'definitely nots'!
I have been to the Cambridge records office and worked my was through most of the transcipts of parish registers with very few finds. This was largely due to them being non-conformists. Laterly Salvation Army but I'm not sure what they were before.
The information I do have is as follows:

my 2x great grandparents William and Alice Anderson (nee Pegg) married 11.8.1879 at the Independent Chapel in Fulbourn. Chesterton district.

In the 1881 census they they are living in Balsham with 7 month old son George  Anderson who it says was born in West Wratting.

By 1891 they are living in Dartford, Kent.
The children are:
George age 11   b West Wratting Cambs.
Louisa  age   8   b Swaffham Cambs.
Emma   age   5   b Fulbourn Cambs.

In the 1901 census they are living in Erith, Kent
The children are:
Emma   age 15 b Fulbourn Cambs
Julia      age   9 b Dartford Kent
William  age  8 b Dartford Kent
Fred      age  4 b Dartford Kent
Annie    age  2 b Dartford Kent
Charley age  2 mths b Belvedere Kent (I believe Erith comes under Belvedere)
also in the house are George adult son age 21 with his wife and daughter.
Next door is daughter Louisa age 19 and now married to William Barrenger. (these are my great grandparents)

In the 1911 census they are back in Cambridgeshire, living in Malta Road Cambridge
the children are:
Julia          age 19 b Dartford Kent
William      age 18 b Dartford Kent
Fred          age 14 b Dartford Kent
Annie        age 12 b Dartford Kent
Alexander age   8 b Cambridge

It also says that there have been 16 children born in this marriage, 8 of whom have died.
I have not found a single baptism or burial anywhere for any of the 16 children. (I will post this on the Kent pages too!)
I know that George and William died in the 14-18 war as I have found them on the CWG site. I know Louisa was born 22.1.1883 Bottisham, Newmarket Dist. because I have the certificate.
I also have notes from the Cambridgeshire records office realting to other Andersons who are not part of my family which I'm happy to pass on if anyone else is interested.
I was just hoping someone might be able to help even if it is to tell me that someone is NOT decended from William and Alice!

I have yet to locate William's birth/baptism c1855 or those of most of his siblings (parents Edward/Edmund & Sarah) who seem to have moved around the Swaffham/Waterbeach/Fulbourn/Bottisham area or the majority of Alice's Pegg siblings from the same area. She was baptised in Bottisham 1862 as were her brother George in 1864 and sister Julia 1866. Their Parents were George Henry and Julia Pegg (nee Rash) but that's another story!

Any straws to clutch at welcomed!  ;D

Sheena
MacKay/McKay: Glasgow, Inverness,Tarbat & RedCastle Scotland.  Toronto, Canada.
McAulay/MacAulay: Caithness, Sutherland,Glasgow.
Dallas: Inverness.
Fraser: Tarbat.
Whyte: Avoch, Knockbain.
Mynard/Cannom/Harridance: any
Barrenger/Stapleton: Kent
Hoare: Hoo/Maidstone
Baker/Wood: Boughton Malherbe
Saltmarsh: Maldon district.
Smith: Dunmow/Stow Maries.
Anderson/Rash: Cambs
Pegg/Garner:Norfolk/Cambs
Bruce:Caithness