Author Topic: Passenger records for HANKS to Aust.  (Read 1244 times)

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Passenger records for HANKS to Aust.
« on: Sunday 26 April 09 01:48 BST (UK) »
I have been  trying to find an elusive family who came to Australia from South Africa where they had lived for about 10 years.     I am led to believe they came to visit their eldest son whose descendants now live in South Australia.  They eventually settled in Western Australia so not 100% sure where they came here to.

Their names were Harry & Agnes Hanks and they would have had three children with them at the time....  Muriel, Evelyn & Irene Hanks .   There was  a theory he came on his own then maybe the women followed or he went back and got them. but no one is sure! 

Rumour has it  Harry & Agnes Hanks may never have married as she was previously married to a John Stanton but I doubt she came under this name. 

The son they followed was William Stanton.  If anyone could find a a record for him too it may point to where his Agnes and Harry came to. 

Many thanks for you help.
Davis, May, McAuliffe, Hanks, Jetson, Merrifield, Curtin, Collins,  Achilles, Fenner, Hourigan, Crocker, Chapple, Mormon, Stephens, George, Richards

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger records for HANKS to Aust.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 09 01:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can you give any time frame at all for these events please. ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 09 02:17 BST (UK) »
Oops sorry lol forgot that....

OK would have been between 1905 - 1920 for Harry & Agnes and say between 1900 and 1911 for William Stanton. 

Hope that helps
Yvonne
Davis, May, McAuliffe, Hanks, Jetson, Merrifield, Curtin, Collins,  Achilles, Fenner, Hourigan, Crocker, Chapple, Mormon, Stephens, George, Richards

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 09 02:24 BST (UK) »
Just linking another thread on the HANKS :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,376909.msg2501698.html#msg2501698

and a little more on the family

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,376161.msg2497158.html#msg2497158

Yvonne I hope you don't mind me doing this, but it saves duplicate searching and gives a little more background on the family ;D  Wonderful photos on the 2nd link ;D

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 09 02:38 BST (UK) »
There is a CD -

Passenger arrivals in Western Australia 1895 to 1925

Compiled by the WA Genealogy Society in 2001, this CDROM is an index to passenger arrivals in Western Australia between 1898 and 1925. It contains the names of some 434,899 passengers arriving from the UK, Europe, Asia and other ports of Australia. These records include up to 244,000 passengers going to or departing either Adelaide, Sydney or Melbourne.

Passenger details include: name of ship, port of departure, date of arrival, nationality and comments about the passengers. The CDROM is searchable by name of passenger or ship.

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 April 09 04:38 BST (UK) »
You mention on one of your previous posts that your informant thinks they may have emigrated in 1913.   Well it was certainly before 1916 as both Agnes and Harry were on the 1916 Electoral Roll...Harry at Granville Street, Cottesloe Beach Occupation Farmer and Agnes at Balbarrup Road, Bridgetown  Domestic.

Then there is the marriage of Muriel Edna Florence to Robert MAY in 1917 and the other daughters not marrying until 1920 and 1926 with Irene marrying for the 2nd time to Betram T JONES in 1937. 

You probably have all this but as you gave a time frame of  1905-1920 for the emigration of Agnes and Harry, I thought I should mention this.  The time frame according to the photograph on the linked website, should perhaps be between 1910 and 1915. The youngest child b. 1905 looks 5 years+ in the family photograph.  Perhaps they emigrated in 1913 as suggested.

Is William Stanton HANKS the young gentleman in the photograph?

Cheers
Cando

Offline iwonder_who

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 April 09 05:36 BST (UK) »
HI again Cando....
Yes William I believe is the child in the photograph.  Agnes' other son born to STANTON died in South Africa,  although we have no record of when. Thats the only reason we assume it was William in the photograph. 

Apparantly William later took on the HANKS name  rather than using Stanton.  Also dont know when this happened.

The only shipping records I could fin were later on the  "Orsova" to London in 1929 he was 64 she 63 ... supposedly after a win in a Western Australian lottery!

Thanks for advising where to post and how....  thats why I put this in Australia rather than the immigration one.   You've been a great help. 

PS offer to move in is still open lol   :P