Author Topic: Palmer, Hayes, Lawless of Kilkenny  (Read 10041 times)

Offline wlou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Palmer, Hayes, Lawless of Kilkenny
« on: Sunday 26 April 09 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am fairly new to genealogy and message boards, and am trying to follow up on information received from my cousin regarding family history. 

Seeking any info, descendants or connections to:
Margaret Palmer born 2/5/1803 to William Palmer and Mary Hayes.

Margaret Palmer married Edmund (Edward) Lawless 27/4/1823 both of Warrington.
Their children according to St. Patrick’s Parish records.:
Mary Lawless    born   1824 Warrington
John Lawless     born    1825  Black Quarry
Patrick Lawless    born    1828  Black Quarry
Elizabeth Lawless    born    1830 ( known as Eliza who came to Australia)
Mary Lawless     born    1832
Bridget Lawless    born     1834
Peter Lawless    born     1835
William Lawless   born     1837
Margaret Lawless    born     1839
Ellen Lawless    born    1840 ( my G/grandmother who came to Australia, died  1893 in Victoria)

Any information regarding other member of  family would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Wendy

Lawless  - Palmer - Hayes (Kilkenny)
Norris- McNabb - Casey -McLaren (Scotland - Ireland-Nova Scotia)
Mundie -Rankin - Gallagher - Oliver (Peterhead- Donegal-Scotland)

Offline jameskennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Palmer, Hayes, Lawless of Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 August 09 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

For a long time our family has suspected we were related to you.  It's almost certain.  I have been in touch with Jan (as has my mother more recently) and I think if we are both researching the family we should share any relevant information. 

I am trying to find living Palmer/Lawless descendants in Kilkenny.  We believe quite strongly that both John and Peter came to the United States. John moved around quite a bit and we think that Peter may have died young.  They were both tailors.

I don't know how we are going to ever confirm that they are of this family but there are so many details that seem to suggest that they were. 

As you may know, Edmund was a tailor and both of the John and Peter who came to the United States from Ireland were tailors and they were the appropriate ages.  The most compelling thing to suggest that John was of this family is that his full name was John Palmer Lawless. 

At least Patrick remained in Kilkenny and was present when Edmund died in 1871.  I think the best bet is to try to find somebody still over there who can confirm where all these people ended up.

At any rate, I have done a good deal of research on Kilkenny related to these families and perhaps we can share information. 

Are you in Australia as well?

Offline wlou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 August 09 07:26 BST (UK) »

Hi James,

The information that I have has come via Jan who is my cousin. 

We live in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia and she has kindly shared her information with me.   

My great grandmother was Ellen Lawless who married John McLaren and my grandmother was Mary Ellen Louisa (Dottie) McLaren.  I do not really know anything other than what Jan has told me, and my grandmother died when my mother was only 11.   

There was a letter which was not found until after my mother's death (1990) from her mother asking her not to forget to write to "Auntie Maggie in Ireland" but who this is I don't know.  Maybe a Lawless or even a McLaren?   

Lovely to hear from a family member.

Wendy 
Hi Wendy,

For a long time our family has suspected we were related to you.  It's almost certain.  I have been in touch with Jan (as has my mother more recently) and I think if we are both researching the family we should share any relevant information. 

I am trying to find living Palmer/Lawless descendants in Kilkenny.  We believe quite strongly that both John and Peter came to the United States. John moved around quite a bit and we think that Peter may have died young.  They were both tailors.

I don't know how we are going to ever confirm that they are of this family but there are so many details that seem to suggest that they were. 

As you may know, Edmund was a tailor and both of the John and Peter who came to the United States from Ireland were tailors and they were the appropriate ages.  The most compelling thing to suggest that John was of this family is that his full name was John Palmer Lawless. 

At least Patrick remained in Kilkenny and was present when Edmund died in 1871.  I think the best bet is to try to find somebody still over there who can confirm where all these people ended up.

At any rate, I have done a good deal of research on Kilkenny related to these families and perhaps we can share information. 

Are you in Australia as well?

Offline jameskennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 09 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

Well this is interesting.  I suppose it could be either Lawless or McLaren in that case.  What year did your grandmother die?  I would presume it was many years ago - perhaps the early 20th century.  Do you know the genealogy of the McLaren's? 

An interesting piece of information though nonetheless - I have been attempting to find the living descendants of our Lawless family in Kilkenny in hopes of confirming we are all of the same family.  Seems like a long shot but it sure would be nice to get it all straightened out!

I will certainly keep you in the loop on what I find in the meantime.

Offline wlou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 05:47 BST (UK) »
Hi James,

I did not know my grandmother (Mary Ellen Louisa Lawless) she died in 1925 and I was not born for another 26years.   

My great grandmother Ellen Lawless married John McLaren ( a butcher) who was born in 1834 in  Glasgow Scotland.  He died in Australia in 1918. 

His parents were Robert McLaren (Shipwright) and Margaret Drysdale.  Thats about all I know.

Hope it helps. 

Wendy

Offline panjela

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 July 13 11:59 BST (UK) »
Just been looking for info on Edward Lawless who married Margaret Pierce in 1805 in Exeter, Devon and found this link. no use to me bit it might interest you!                      The Ancestry of Henry James Lawless, Jr. Book One: Paternal Ancestry - Page 16 - Google Books Result
books.google.co.uk/books?id=rXW7Dw1M1EYC
Ethan James Kennedy
... John Edward Lawless.14 See **Chapter 3: Corrigan Family** for Eliza's Life and Family John Palmer Lawless almost certainly met Eliza Corrigan in the early  ...

Offline DGaff

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting this. My grandmother was Anna (Lawless) Roddy. I traced my great great grandfather to Peter Lawless baptized in 1835 in Kilkenny. His Father was Edmund Lawless and mother Margaret Palmer. Thanks for posting the entire family names! I wonder if there are descendants still in Kilkenny. Dan