Author Topic: Lost in Limerick  (Read 3331 times)

Offline alchemyst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost in Limerick
« on: Sunday 26 April 09 13:05 BST (UK) »
I recently obtained a death certificate for Mary Russell (nee Holmes) who died in Australia 1919.  She had lived there for about 9-10years.  The death cert. states she was aged 86 - born in Limerick.  Her father was Thomas Holmes, mother Mary O'Donnel.  She was aged 26 when she married Michael Russell.  When I checked on the Irish family history site (Limerick) the only marriage that matched in 1859 was Michael Russell and MARIA Holmes,  Killfinnane.  No other details other than witnesses.  The only birth record for Mary Holmes between 1829-1837 for Limerick was 1831.  I couldn't find Mary or her father on familysearch either.  Are the dates all wrong (as they are for some of the children) or is it just me??

Thanks,
Alchemyst

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost in Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 09 13:35 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of catholi marriages in Ireland began 1864 (other marriages from 1845). Therefore, if the 1859 marriage took place in a Catholic church there will be no marriage certificate.
The 1859 marriage for Michael Russell and Maria Holmes that you found might be the correct one (Mary is a form of Maria) but on the other hand without the father's name on the marriage record it's difficult to know if it's the right one.
Civil registration of births (and deaths) in Ireland also began 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for Mary Holmes and you'll have to rely on searching for church records (which may not exist).
The records available online cover only a small fraction of people born and married in Ireland.
To find church records you really need to know where the family lived (parish if not actual townland, not just the county).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alchemyst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 09 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info - It would appear that I am doomed!  The more Irish ancestors I find, the more I think they are just to torment me!!

Thanks again,
Alchemyst

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 09 17:28 BST (UK) »
....When I checked on the Irish family history site (Limerick) the only marriage that matched in 1859 was Michael Russell and MARIA Holmes,  Killfinnane.  .....Thanks,
Alchemyst

The Church record would most likely have been in Latin. Mary would have been recorded as Maria.