Author Topic: John Beard - Relationship help needed!  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
John Beard - Relationship help needed!
« on: Monday 27 April 09 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hiya all

I’m hoping someone can help break down a brick wall concerning my 4 x Great Grandfather John Beard and tell me if I am going the right way. Hope you are sitting comfortably

John Beard b c1777 married Mary Hannah Partridge b 1774 on 3.6.1792 at Monmouth. Register says John of Newland Mary Hannah of Monmouth

Their children were

John bap 24/3/1799 Monmouth who married Elizabeth Knight b 1797 Redbrook Gloucs (3 x GGrandparents)
William bap 18.7.1802 Monmouth who married Elizabeth Moulton b 1805 Little Dean
Elizabeth bap 19.1.1795 Newland who married James Eynon b 1790 Whitchurch Glam
Mary bap 16.12.1808 Newland who married Richard Protheroe b 1811 Redbrook Gloucs
Ann bap 14.8.1805 Newland who married George Verrinder b 1806 Lydney
Henry bap 13.8.1812 Newland who married Elizabeth Hoult b 1799 Stourport
Thomas born 1821 who married Elizabeth b 1821 Kidderminster
Jane bap 19.2.1815 Redbrook (nothing further on her)

The family moved from Redbrook to Lydney where John died in 1833 and Mary Hannah re-married. Then most of the children later moved to Worcestershire with their families where they all worked in the Tin and Iron trade

I then struck a brick wall, as I couldn’t pin down a baptism for John Snr

While I was researching the Knight side of my family when I came across a Moses Knight b 1858 Lydney who married a Hannah Hughes nee Jenkins b 1829 Ruardean who is descended from a branch of the Knight family and out of boredom/frustration I decided to follow his line back and found the following

Moses parents were Samuel Beard b 1829 Lydney and Caroline (nee Fisher) b 1831 Ellamidanne Monmouthshire Wales

I followed Samuel back and found his parents were William b 1800 Framilode and Hannah (nee Edwards) b 1807 Lydney

Williams parents were William b 1771 Framilode and Elizabeth (unknown) It appears that William Snr may have remarried a Mary and had further children

Hope you are keeping up!

One of the children from his second marriage was Charlotte b 1807 Framilode who married a William Lewis and from the 1851 census we have in Lydney

William Lewis 46 head b Lydney Blacksmith
Charlotte Lewis 42 wife b Framilode
William Beard 80 b Framilode lodger labourer in tin works (this is her father)
Sarah Glanville 79 b Lydney lodger
Mary Verrinder 7 b Lydney niece

The only Mary Verrinder I can find on the FOD is Mary Amy bap 10.9.1843 daughter of George and Ann (see above)

Problem is Mary wouldn’t be a niece, so are they just simplifying the relationship? and if she is a relative this would make John Beard a brother or relation of William Beard Snr but I’m just having a problem proving it – HELP!

Hope I haven't given you a headache!

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Beard - Relationship help needed!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 09 12:15 BST (UK) »

Problem is Mary wouldn’t be a niece, so are they just simplifying the relationship?
Willow x

Could be if she was the daughter of a sister of William Lewis.

Oops!  re-read your post - George Verrinder married Ann Beard.

Will have a look back through my copies of GFHS Journals, I'm sure there was an article on the Verrinders.

Susan  :)
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 09 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hiya Susan

That would be great thanx

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Willow

The Verrinders mentioned in the journal were from Cirencester/Hinton on the Green areas, they also migrated to Worcestershire.

Been looking at the William born Framilode 1771.  The children of William and Elizabeth, Hannah 1798 and William 1800, were baptised in Saul.  There is a marriage of a William Beard to Elizabeth Browning 25th December 1797, Saul (Hugh Wallis' batch nos.).

Will have a look for burial of Elizabeth.

The children of William and Mary were also baptised Saul, James 1803, Nancy 1805, Charlotte 1809, Nathaniel 1809. There is a submitted marriage in the IGI, confirmed by transcribed index, of William Beard and Mary Clissold 16th March 1802 in Painswick, as the crow flies not far from Saul.

Painswick, Batch No. C036212, has a baptism of a William Beard 2nd April 1775 father Nathaniel.   Is this the William who married Mary Clissold?

To confuse things even further (sorry  :-\) In Moreton Valence, William Beard baptised 30th May 1773, father Samuel (have been trying to follow naming patterns).

Moreton Valence is not too far from Saul, don't know if you know the area at all?

There were a number of crossing points on the river Severn, Framilode to Rodley, Arlingham to Newnham (Lydney about 8 miles) being two of them.

I've probably confused you even more

Susan  :)

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 April 09 17:56 BST (UK) »
Look for Alf Beard on Google he has a database of Glos Beards
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 09 18:15 BST (UK) »
Forgot about Alf, he's one of us too!  Sorry Alf  :)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 April 09 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hiya Susan

Thanx for that I suspected the Verrinders were not originally from Lydney. At the moment I am still chasing them in Lydney so I will widen the search a bit. I had found the info on William and Marys children there is also another Nancy b 1812 I did wonder at first if the Nancy 1805 was the one who married Charles Verrinder and was actually called Ann (Nancy being a variant) but she must have died young

Thanx also for the information about Moreton Valance I dont know the area at all but I had spotted several Beards from there on the census so they could tie in

Emjaybee I didnt know Alf had a database so I will go and look at that. I sent him some info by PM the other day but I dont think he has been online since

I think it will be easier just to follow all the lines back of people who marry into the family we seem to cross families alot and it might make the job easier lol

Willow x

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 April 09 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hiya Susan

I think you might have cracked it with the William baptised Moreon Valence

I have noticed on the census that a lot of the time Framilode comes under Moreton Valence

William has a brother John bap 23.11.1776 which would fit with my John only problem is he didnt have a son called Samuel as I would expect (that I have found yet) but they were in Monmouth for a time so he may have been born and died there

I now have quite a bit on the Verrinder family but I havent found a marriage into the Lewis family yet so it doesnt look like Mary is a neice from that side of the family

Willow x

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 May 09 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Willow

Found these two burials in the NBI

Samuel Beard 11th March 1821 aged 81, Moreton Valence (probably father of William born 1773 and John 1776).

Samuel Beard 3rd December 1845 aged 76 Lydney (born c 1769)

Have had a scout about for Samuel son of John without success at the mo ???