Author Topic: Cross of Warlingham/Chelsham, Surrey  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Michelle72

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cross of Warlingham/Chelsham, Surrey
« on: Monday 27 April 09 11:13 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered a second marriage to one of my Cross relatives which opens up a new line altogether!

Richard Richards Cross  b. 1844 Tingewick, Bucks married Martha King b. 1856 Chelsham, Surrey.  They had 2 children:

1.  John Richard (known as Richard) b. 1880 Chelsham, Surrey.  He married Eva Louise Walker b. 1884 Warlingham, Surrey.  They had children born in Warlingham between 1907 and 1923.

2.  Edward William b. 1881 Chelsham Surrey.  He married Eliza Cottingham b. 1881 Surrey.  They had children born in Warlingham between 1903 and 1923.

Wondered if there are any relatives out there??
BRAMWELL - Ayr, Scotland
BUTCHER - Tingewick, Bucks, Eng
CROSS - Tingewick Bucks Eng - Wellington NZ - Hamilton NSW Aus, Illinois USA - Bucks Eng
DANDO - Cameley, Somerset
FRENCH - Nash, Bucks
HAMBLETON - Alstonfield, Staffs, Eng
HENSHAW - Rocester, Staffs, Eng
HURST - Bucks
JONES - Cwmavon, Glam, Wales
PARKER - Denstone, Staffs, Eng
READ - Stony Stratford, Bucks, Eng
RICHARDS - Mixbury, Oxon, Eng
RIDGWAY - Akeley, Bucks, Eng
WHITE - Steppingley, Beds, Eng
WILKINS - Cameley, Somerse

Offline saworth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cross of Warlingham/Chelsham, Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 June 09 02:16 BST (UK) »
If you look on www.bt.com you will see there are some Cross families living in Warlingham and the surrounding areas. Hope this helps.  :)
Joy - Shaftesbury/Weymouth - Dorset
Clark - Aylesford/Maidstone - Kent
James - Merthyr Tydvil - Wales
Preece - Cardiff/Glamorgan - Wales
Churchfield - Reigate/Horley - Surrey
Houldsworth - Mellor/Blackburn - Lancs
Ellett - West Ham, London
Wintjen - Hackney/London and Magdeburg Germany

Offline trevett1st

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
churchfields and joys
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 10:27 BST (UK) »
hi there

I just found one of your posts by googling the name churchfield and see you have the same interests of the name Churchfield in reigate and Joy in Weymouth. Presumably there is a link. Not sure how to use this site as I joined today. Hope to hear soon. Lesley :)

Offline saworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley,
Yes, I think we do have a connection.  My grandfather was Richard William Joy, whose sister was Elsie Ivy, who I guess you are descended from, seeing as the other sibling Ken, never married?!  My father is Jim, Richard William's eldest son.  I will send you my email address under a private message, so we can talk further, if you would like to.  Interestingly, my husband and I went to trace the Joy's in Shaftesbury and Weymouth this summer and found their old houses.  Glad you got in touch, I was wanting to track the Trevitt side of the family.  Regards,  Sally
Joy - Shaftesbury/Weymouth - Dorset
Clark - Aylesford/Maidstone - Kent
James - Merthyr Tydvil - Wales
Preece - Cardiff/Glamorgan - Wales
Churchfield - Reigate/Horley - Surrey
Houldsworth - Mellor/Blackburn - Lancs
Ellett - West Ham, London
Wintjen - Hackney/London and Magdeburg Germany

Offline purplefi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 May 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
I'm in very early stages of my research but have Cross surname and Warlingham specifically in the small bit of family tree I've uncovered so far so thought I would reply on the off chance, as they don't specifically match info you have in your post.

I have an Edward Cross born in Culford, Suffolk born around 1825. Married Harriet Seal born around 1851 born carshalton, surrey.

They had Joseph Henry Cross born around 1878 in Carshalton, Surrey and he married Bertha Payne she was born in Warlingham, surrey

They had at least 10 children, first born around 1906 and the first few at least, were born in Warlingham, Surrey, who would be Cross surname.

Offline sarahmlife

• RootsChat Member
  • Ellen May Buckland nee Ware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 September 10 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a Bertha Payne in my family tree from Warlingham in Surrey born 1884, my great great Uncle Enoch Payne was Bertha Paynes dad.  My Line is Eli Payne(my great granddad), Enoch's brother.

Regards

Sarah Payne
The paynes of East Grinstead(Sussex),Lingfield(Surrey), Warlingham(Surrey) and Chichester(Sussex), The Wares of Lambeth (London) and Croydon(Surrey), The Bucklands of Croydon(Surrey),the Bishops of Lingfield,(surrey) and Brighton(Sussex),The Thrussells of Kings walden and st Paul's Walden(Hertfordshire),Lanhams of Felstead Essex and Yorkshire, Tuxworths of Lincolnshire, French's ,and many more.......................

Census Infromation Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarahmlife

• RootsChat Member
  • Ellen May Buckland nee Ware
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 October 10 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was looking at Bertha Payne again and was looking for Joseph Cross and Bertha Paynes children and have found one possible David Cross ,date of birth 1907, birth place,Warlingham,Surrey, but as yet have not confirmed that Joseph Cross and Bertha Payne were the parent.

Regards

Sarah Payne
The paynes of East Grinstead(Sussex),Lingfield(Surrey), Warlingham(Surrey) and Chichester(Sussex), The Wares of Lambeth (London) and Croydon(Surrey), The Bucklands of Croydon(Surrey),the Bishops of Lingfield,(surrey) and Brighton(Sussex),The Thrussells of Kings walden and st Paul's Walden(Hertfordshire),Lanhams of Felstead Essex and Yorkshire, Tuxworths of Lincolnshire, French's ,and many more.......................

Census Infromation Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk