Author Topic: maiden or married name?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline nbrome

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
maiden or married name?
« on: Monday 27 April 09 21:45 BST (UK) »
A question about the LDS pilot site using the Irish Civil Indexes:
Say you look up a certain woman's name under "births", it will usually give you the name, birth year and death year.
Where do they get the death year from if these are birth indexes? Do they have more info on deaths and so calculate the birth year?
And more importantly, does this mean that they take the name at death rather than at birth? The same might be true for the marriage indexes. How come all the women I look up on Births have their death dates and appear never to have married?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: maiden or married name?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
On LDS index to civil registrations the records that list both year of birth and year of death are the death registrations for that person. The name is the name of the person at the time of the event.
For example, Jane Smyth was born 1870, married John Johnston in 1900 and died 1920 aged 50.
Birth registration would list her as Jane Smyth born 1870.
Marriage registration would list her as Jane Smyth married 1900.
Death registration would list her as Jane Johnston born 1870 died 1920 aged 50 years.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nbrome

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: maiden or married name?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 09 07:08 BST (UK) »
thanks so much for that.
I've been going round in circles trying to figure out whether women were wives or sisters.

PS. Here in Italy married women don't change their names. That's certainly better for finding them in births marriages and deaths. On the other hand you don't always connect to the husband!