Author Topic: Sir Herbert Aubrey Francis Metcalfe  (Read 3989 times)

Offline waitehoskerlewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sir Herbert Aubrey Francis Metcalfe
« on: Tuesday 28 April 09 20:57 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if Sir Herbert Aubrey Francis Metcalfe went regularly to Spilsby in Lincolnshire and if he met someone called Marion or Marie Waite there?  Did he buy hunting gear from a high class riding gear/hunting gear shop that was based next to a grocers shop in Spilsby?
AYRES, LEWIS, HOSKER, HASTRY, BRACEGIRDLE, MORTIMORE, WAITE, CUNLIFFE, BOWMAN

Area's: Spilsby, Lincs (for WAITE and BOWMAN) and Warrington, Cheshire for AYRES, LEWIS, HOSKER, HASTRY, BRACEGIRDLE, MORTIMORE.  Manchester for CUNLIFFE.  LEWIS and HOSKER were in and around the Bold and Frodsham area

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Herbert Aubrey Francis Metcalfe
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 14:51 BST (UK) »
The Times newspaper of the 18 feb 1958 has info about his will.

Sir Herbert Aubrey Francis Metcalfe of Carrig,Caragh Lake Co Kerry resident and chief commisioner of Baluchistan(which I think is in India)1939-43 estate in England (gross £7165) duty paid £298 net £7139.

That puts him in both India and Ireland,but I'm not sure how anyone would know if he was in Lincs?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 14:59 BST (UK) »
Perhaps in his Will he specifically leaves his high class hunting gear with the Spilsby label to a Marion Waite...

;D

Sorry - being a bit cheeky.

But seriously, waitehoskerlewis, how would anyone know where this person  bought his hunting gear or who he met?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 15:03 BST (UK) »
Perhaps in his Will he specifically leaves his high class hunting gear with the Spilsby label to a Marion Waite...

;D

Sorry - being a bit cheeky.

But seriously, waitehoskerlewis, how would anyone know where this person  bought his hunting gear or who he met?

Liz  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think the intonation is that he left her far more than that  ;)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline waitehoskerlewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 18:30 BST (UK) »
yes, that's what we've been lead to believe but obviously not sure as an aristocratic name could have been given to make the scandal sound less scandalous, who knows?

The name my Grandpa was given was "The honourable Aubrey Francis" and someone who contributed to my other topic suggested Sir Herbert Aubrey Francis Metcalfe, so for all I know, it might be, it might not be but it's fascinating to wonder

Area's: Spilsby, Lincs (for WAITE and BOWMAN) and Warrington, Cheshire for AYRES, LEWIS, HOSKER, HASTRY, BRACEGIRDLE, MORTIMORE.  Manchester for CUNLIFFE.  LEWIS and HOSKER were in and around the Bold and Frodsham area

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 April 09 11:32 BST (UK) »
, who knows?

Indeed - I think realistically the answer will remain a mystery, that Marion took with her.

If the child was born within the marriage (as your other thread suggests) and registered as a child of the marriage, then you will never know for sure otherwise. Us family historians can only rely on surviving documents, and if they say that her husband was the father we will never prove for sure otherwise.

Lets face it - even if the order books of a posh hunting gear shop in Spilsby have survived, and even if they did show that Sir Herbert bought stuff there - that is hardly proof of paternity of the child born to the grocer-next-door's- daughter is it?
If it were, then I am surprised the shop did any trade!!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline waitehoskerlewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 April 09 13:27 BST (UK) »
I don't particularly want proof, it's just interesting to speculate and wonder.

The owner of the high class riding gear/hunting gear shop that was next door to the grocers was Marion's uncle and the grocers shop belonged to her dad - letters were sent to my grandpa when he was young by a relative of Marion's and there's quite a lot of information in them.  At the moment my cousin is in possession of them but I had read them years ago and so had my mother and there's also implications in the letters that she'd had an affair with someone above her station and that she met him via this shop. 

Offline waitehoskerlewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 April 09 14:17 BST (UK) »
The other topic connected with this by the way is "The Waite family in Spilsby"

Offline waitehoskerlewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 April 09 14:20 BST (UK) »
I've just found out as well that Spilsby was connected with the Earls of Ancaster, it makes me wonder if he was a visitor there.  Anything's possible and I must admit, I find this mystery intriguing.