Author Topic: Mauritius - Jacobs & Sons; merchants & Sugar plantations late 1800's-1900's  (Read 2113 times)

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have a maternal ancestor Catherine Wilkinson married to N. JACOBS, who was partner in family firm of Charles Jacobs & Sons, founded in Gawler, South Australia, around 1856.  (Not immediate son, but known to be a partner, nontheless.) 
I believe Catherine originally came out to Australia from Wales around 1864, was married (?when, where- South Australia?) and went with her husband to live in Curepipe, Mauritius.  There, the family firm of Jacobs had large sugar and tea plantations,  and their own tea clipper ship 'C.J.S." with which they exported to Australia, Britain, China and South Africa.   
Various sisters of Catherine with their families visited her in Curepipe towards the end of the 19th century., onebeing  Margaret (PITCHFORD) and her husband (my gr.grandparents) and eight children visiting and staying for two years, and having a ninth child whilst there.
C. Jacobs came to Victoria, Australia and bought a property 'Woodcliff" (now named "Woodcliffe") on the Esplanade, between Mornington and Mt. Martha  in 1906. Her husband N. came by ship 'C.J.S." from M. in January 1908 and returned to Mauritius in May 1908.   They visited Mornington  in 1908 to attend a family wedding of C.'s niece, Catherine Pitchford - and are known to have been living at 'Woodcliff".during the first six months at least of 1908.
I have had no success in tracing:
1. their wedding; 2. N.'s birth (I know he is 'Australian born, and 60 yrs. of age on shipping manifest in Jan. 1908);C. was born in Wales in 1842.
3. where and when they died - I presume they had no children?
I have had no success in trying to ascertain results from the Mauritius end.  Anyone out there help in any way??    Ruth MacLeod (Australia)

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mauritius - Charles Jacobs & Sons & Sugar plantations
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 August 09 13:35 BST (UK) »
I have added a bit to the subject title, hoping it might catch someone's eye!  I was about to post details but realised I had already done so.  I haven't had any success in finding N. Jacobs and would appreciate any help at all.  Ruth

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 09 13:39 BST (UK) »
To change the title in the listings you need to modify the 1st post on the thread so I've done that for you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 09 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  R/.

Offline Scotaus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mauritius - Jacobs & Sons; merchants & Sugar plantations late 1800's-1900's