Author Topic: Sand Mines  (Read 4201 times)

Offline Aussie_trekkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Kevin Martin Irish Olympic Team 1948 &1952
    • View Profile
Sand Mines
« on: Wednesday 29 April 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
The story goes that my GGrandfather born 1857and his brother were the owner of sand mines in the Wicklow/Dublin Mountains. Anyone know where these could have been.  His wife died young and he took to the bottle drinking away his share in the business .His brother bought him out. I was told the family were originally from Glenmalure .
Martin-O'Byrne- Hayes-Rohan-O,Brien-Cullen,Flood-Kavanagh-Thompson-McFee-Brazil-Mitchell

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Sand Mines
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 April 09 15:29 BST (UK) »
hello again - I think I bumped into you before around here somewhere !

I think sand pit is the term used...  the best matches I can think of in the Dublin/Wicklow mountain area would be Fassaroe, and Blessington (both North Co. Wicklow). Both of these are still in use and operated by Cement Roadstone (C.R.H.)

There are other smaller deposit of sand in the Dublin/Wicklow area but these seem to be the major sources.

Some of my Fitzsimon ancestors (from Bray) have had a connection with this trade also - my g-grandfather is described as 'Sand Contractor' on the 1901 census. I am assuming Fassaroe in his case.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests