Author Topic: BURGOYNE Family of Plymouth (Ancestors of Cleopatra Cecilia Burgoyne, b. 1844)  (Read 42679 times)

Offline Limeburner Mitchell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Florence Adelaide, circa 1900
    • View Profile
Re: BURGOYNE Family of Plymouth (Ancestors of Cleopatra Cecilia Burgoyne, b. 1844)
« Reply #63 on: Monday 10 January 11 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

Firstly, I apologise to Burg and DF for my lack of response to their recent posts.  I am very grateful for what you've added to the discussion and Burgoyne/Prowse databank - I've just not had a moment to provide a thoughtful response beyond that!  I will make amends shortly. 

Secondly, I'm all too painfully aware of my tendency to keep wrenching the limelight away from our starlet, the flamboyantly-monikered Cleo.  I'd apologise more profusely, but this is, after all, about her family.  And I've got some new things about her brother and my ancestor, the travelled physician Dr John Thomas Burgoyne, to share. 

What I have is a timeline of known events in his life.  It includes some summary information about his father, wife and descendents.  But it's largely a chronicle of things we know to be true over the 49 years (exactly) that he lived. 

Why do it? 

Primarily because it's not been done, and there's a lot of scraps of fact to organise from various on- and off-line sources - and here I want to thank the astounding contributions of Colleen Antaw, and John and Peter Reynolds for providing many of these factual insights.  In pulling all this information together chronologically, it makes it starkly clear where our knowledge of not only the doctor but also his birth family and descendents is deficient. 

But why log it here? 

I guess now I've organised it all I think storing it here might serve another purpose - to help to provide some comparison and contrast with the beliefs, ethics, motivations etc. that we're privy to - and actively researching - in the affairs of his relatives. 

So here it is, Part 1 of 3 in a pretty raw annotated timeline of the life of John Thomas Burgoyne, medical practitioner, journeyman, entrepreneur:

29 Jun 1849: Born in Newbridge, Kildare, Eire.  Parents are John Burgoyne, a civil engineer, and Susan Smith (nee Giles).  Both are apparently from long-standing Devonian families.  Parents married at Ebenezer Wesleyan Chapel, Plymouth, Devon, England on 15 Jan 1840.  An elder brother John Giles Burgoyne died in 1840. The life and times of elder sister Cleopatra Cecilia Burgoyne is the subject of much of the 'Burgoyne family of Plymouth' thread on RootsChat.

Early 1852: Sister Maria Theresa Burgoyne born in Newbridge, Kildare, Eire.  In early 1876 she marries 'general business agent' Philip Jordan Bishop (born Jordan Ranson in 1851 in Lavenham, Suffolk, the youngest of 11 children to Jeremiah Ranson and Elizabeth Jacobs).  They raise three daughters in the south-east of England. 

29 Jul 1853: Travels aged 3 with father John (a "gentleman"), and sisters Cleo (aged 7) and Maria Theresa (aged one and a half) from Nassau, Bahamas, via Baltimore to England. 

24 Jan 1871: Receives his Diploma from the Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin, Ireland. 

1872: Thought to have been practising at Buckinghamshire County Hospital, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England.

28 May 1873: Registered Medical Practitioner in England. 

28 May 1873: Residing at 2 Magdala Villas, Belvedere, Kent, England. 

31 May 1873: Departs England for Australia on the steamer 'Great Queensland', acting as surgeon superintendent.

13 Jun 1873: Father John Burgoyne dies in Belvedere, Kent, aged 54.  Following a post mortem, the cause of death is stated as 'heart disease'. 

02 Sep 1873: 'Great Queensland' steamer lands at Moreton Bay, Queensland, Australia. 

05 Mar 1874: Receives Certificate of Qualification from the Queensland Medical Board stating he is a legally qualified medical practitioner in the colony.

29 Jun 1874: Marries Editha Marie Reynolds, aged 21, in Mount Perry, Queensland.  Editha's family are mine managers and educators latterly from the Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall.  Her Reynolds line originates in Shropshire.  Editha and her family emigrated to Australia on the 'Kent' in Sep 1867, starting their new life in Victoria. 

01 Aug 1874: Appointed and gazetted Medical Officer for the police district of Teningering (Mount Perry), Queensland. 

09 Jan 1875: Leaves Mount Perry for England, allegedly.

1875: First child Frederick William born in Sydney, New South Wales.  Frederick William dies the same year.

Late 1875: Resident doctor at Moonah Brook, New South Wales.

I'll continue years 1876 through 1888 in the following post!

Grant
Cornwall/Devon: Mitchell, Reynolds, Pryor, Sampson, Mathews, Tippett, Trewela, Retallack, Allen, Bennetts, Chenoweth, Gummow, Adams, Pearce, Rogers, Davies, Burgoyne, Giles
SE Eng: Limeburner, Stephens, Langmead, Osbaldeston, West, Restieaux, Brooker, Puxty, Edwards, Watson, Fellowes
Bucks/Beds: Faulkner
Dorset/Hants: Boyt, Monckton, Read, Lovick, Witherington
Salop/Glos: Reynolds, Russell
Somerset: Pitt
NSW: Sadler
Eire: McCarrick, Gregory, Spencer, Colbert
NI: McGlone, Hagan
Scotland: Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BURGOYNE Family of Plymouth (Ancestors of Cleopatra Cecilia Burgoyne, b. 1844)
« Reply #64 on: Monday 10 January 11 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

As promised, here's Part 2 of 3 in the annotated timeline of the life of John Thomas Burgoyne, medical practitioner, journeyman, entrepreneur:

25 Jan 1876: Rumoured to be about to accept Coonamble, New South Wales as next district of practice because their offer was, from 'a pecuniary point of view ... a vast improvement on his present district' [Moonah Brook].

01 May 1876: Announces to Maitland Mercury readers that he has commenced practice at his residence in Muswellbrook, New South Wales.   

01 Jul 1876: Announces to Maitland Mercury readers that he is now dispensing his own medicines at no extra cost to patients from his practice in Muswellbrook, New South Wales.   

01 Nov 1876: Advertises for another legally qualified practitioner to set up a branch practice in Muswellbrook - seeking "a good horseman of energetic and strictly temperate character". 

1876: Second child Edith Evelyn W Burgoyne born in Muswellbrook, New South Wales.  Edith dies in 1876 or 1877. 

17 May 1877: Still practising in Muswellbrook, according to record of magisterial inquiry into the death (from acute peritonitis) of 48 year old Thomas Bowden.

1877: Third child Edith Nea Walburg Burgoyne born in New South Wales.  Known as Nea, she never marries and dies in Ashfield, New South Wales in 1949.

1878: Fourth child Frederick William Burgoyne born in Muswellbrook, New South Wales.  Frederick William commences medical studies, but drops out when his girlfriend falls pregnant in 1906.  He becomes a grocer and dies in Burwood, New South Wales in 1935.

Late 1878: Apparently resident practitioner in Grenfell, New South Wales. 

06 Mar 1879: Resident doctor at Back Creek (near Minmi), New South Wales. 

21 Nov 1879: Appointed hospital surgeon in Ravenswood, Queensland, following the previous doctor's appointment having been cancelled due to not reporting for duty.

13 Dec 1879: Resigns post at Ravenswood Hospital citing climate and insufficient practice as the causes. 

Early 1880: Resident practitioner at Copeland (in the North Hunter region, near Gloucester), New South Wales. 

11 Mar 1880: On way to take up practice in Dungog, having left Copeland because it was not 'remunerative enough'.  Copeland reported lost 'a thoroughly good, skilful man' because 'the inordinately heavy bribe of 100 pounds per annum' was not sufficient.

1880: Fifth child Mabel Maude L Burgoyne born in Dungog.  She dies in Dungog in 1881.   

05 Nov 1880 at 7:15pm: Gazetted Government Medical Officer and Vaccinator for the district of Dungog. 

11 Apr 1881: Resigns appointment of medical officer to the Star of Williams 1802 Grand United Order of Oddfellows in Dungog.

12 May 1881: Arrives and commences practice at Vegetable Creek (near Emmaville), New South Wales. 

19 Aug 1881: Gazetted Government Medical Officer for the district of Vegetable Creek.

01 Nov 1881: Gazetted Coroner at Vegetable Creek and for the colony generally

1881: Sixth child Mabel Maude Lilian Burgoyne born in 1881, probably in Tenterfield in the Northern Rivers region of New South Wales.  By arrangement, she marries John Arthur Reynolds in Shanghai, China.  He is a British customs official and a distant relative of her mother's, hailing from Falmouth, Cornwall.  John Reynolds died in China in 1918 and Mabel returned to live in Australia, passing away in 1969 at Hurlstone Park, Sydney suburbs, New South Wales.

1883: Seventh child Arthur Ernest Albert Victor Burgoyne born at Vegetable Creek.  Married Bertha May Marwood in Victoria, Australia in 1905, and they had one daughter.  Victor died from either cholera or typhoid fever in China before 1910.

04 Oct 1883: Continues practising at Vegetable Creek, according to press reports. 

1885: Eighth child Edgar John A A S Burgoyne born in Redfern, Sydney inner suburbs, New South Wales, Australia.  Edgar was a photographer and married Vietnamese/Frenchwoman Ann Defore in China.  They had one child - Daphne - who died in Florida in 2005.  Edgar died in Sydney in 1963. 

31 Jul 1885: Appointed to act as locum tenens at Moruya in the absence of Dr King.

1886: Ninth child Aubrey Edward Leopold Burgoyne born in Moruya, New South Wales, Australia.  Accompanies Mabel to China in mid 1906 for her wedding.  Aubrey was a Hong Kong government servant, but also apparently engaged in trading.  Both he and his wife became prisoners of war.  He died on 12 Aug 1946 in Hong Kong, China, leaving wife Nance, children Eileen, Edmund and Beryl, and siblings Nea, Mabel, Edgar and Grace.  It appears that Nance and her Australian Government Intelligence Officer son Edmund died in Dalkeith, Western Australia in 1985 and 1978 respectively. 

09 Apr 1888: Dr and Mrs Burgoyne and family (and worldly possessions, one suspects) disembark the 'Kiama' in Sydney after travelling up the coast from Moruya.

After that lovely bucolic posting on the south coast, wherever next for the Good Doctor?  Stay tuned for the thrilling final episode in our three part series ...

Grant
Cornwall/Devon: Mitchell, Reynolds, Pryor, Sampson, Mathews, Tippett, Trewela, Retallack, Allen, Bennetts, Chenoweth, Gummow, Adams, Pearce, Rogers, Davies, Burgoyne, Giles
SE Eng: Limeburner, Stephens, Langmead, Osbaldeston, West, Restieaux, Brooker, Puxty, Edwards, Watson, Fellowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 10 January 11 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello readers,

haven't lost you in some dusty ephemeral gold rush backwater a post or two ago in the peripatetic adventures of the antipodean branch of the Burgoynes?  I hope not. 

For those still with us, here comes the finale in the annotated timeline of the life of John Thomas Burgoyne, medical practitioner, journeyman, entrepreneur:

1888: Tenth child Muriel Grace Ivy Pearl Burgoyne (known as 'Grace') born in Balmain, New South Wales.  Grace married Harry Lohrmann (anglicised to 'Lorman') in 1917.  Later that year they had their only child, a daughter, Erica, who recently passed away.  Grace died in Sydney in February 1970. 

23 May 1889: Practising in Balmain, inner western Sydney, New South Wales.

1890: Eleventh child Ruby E Burgoyne born in Balmain, New South Wales.  She dies in 1891 or 1892.

1891: Listed in Sands and Macdougall Directory for Sydney as a surgeon at 449 Darling Street, Balmain, New South Wales.

14 Aug 1891: Twelfth child - an unknown daughter - born at 509 Darling Road, Balmain, New South Wales.  (This birth is reported in the press and in the Australian Medical Gazette, but not apparently officially registered.)

1892: Listed in Sands and Macdougall Directory for Sydney as a surgeon at 507 Darling Street, Balmain, New South Wales.

26 Aug 1892: Creditors invited to register with the Registrar in Bankruptcy.  (I had a feeling in my waters that this was coming!)  Now residing in Napier Street, Paddington, New South Wales. 

1893: Listed in Sands and Macdougall Directory for Sydney as a surgeon at 12 Napier Street, Paddington, New South Wales.

22 Apr 1893: "World-renowned electrician, physician and surgeon", now quartered at 112 Phillip Street, Sydney.  Florid snake-oil style advertisements for "the Electric Girdle" among other cure-alls begin appearing weekly from early December 1892 in the Maitland Mercury.  They are initially under the name "The Kelly Institute" with Dr J T Burgoyne as the point of contact.  By February 1893 "The Kelly Institute" references have been dropped and the goods and services on offer are now fully under his name and practice logo.  On 22 April 1893 they cease, but only after Dr J T Burgoyne has attained a truly impressive CV and flawless success rate.  Claims include that he is "legally Qualified and Registered by the Medical Board, received his medical education at the Royal College of Physicians, where he graduated with éclat. He then entered the Royal College of Surgeons, where he also graduated with highest honors. On receiving his various diplomas, he completed his medical training by an extended tour of the world, visiting all famous hospitals, devoting special attention to the study of diseases which afflict the young and inexperienced..."

22 July 1893: Reinvents himself as Dr Jeckell Vinés, but remains at 112 Phillip Street, Sydney.  Dr Jeckell is "Legally Qualified and Registered by the Medical Board of New South Wales. PROFESSOR OF ELECTRO-MEDICINE AND THERAPEUTICS. Prizeman of His College In Obstetrics, Forensic Medicine, and Toxicology; Honors in Anatomy, Physiology, Histology, Practical Chemistry, Botany, and Medicine; author of " Lectures on the Microscope" and Treatises on Consumption, Extra Uterine Gestation, and various specific subjects.  Formerly Medical Officer of Health, London Port sanitary authority, Public Vaccinator English Government, Railway Medical Officer, Surgeon to the Police, and Hospital Physician ... whose experience of 23 Years' continuous practice enables him to guarantee the cure of every accepted case ... ".

1894: Listed in Sands and Macdougall Directory for Sydney as surgeon, 164 Hereford Street, Glebe, New South Wales. 

1894: Listed in Sands and Macdougall Directory for Sydney as Jeckell Vinés, surgeon, 112 Phillip Street, Sydney, New South Wales. 

1895: Listed in Sands and Macdougall Directory for Sydney as Jeckell Vinés, surgeon, 112 Phillip Street, Sydney, New South Wales.  Note that entries for John T Burgoyne cease in 1894.

29 Jun 1898: On his 49th birthday, died at Maryborough Hospital, Queensland.  Press reports were that the cause of death was 'heart disease', although 'convulsions due to intemperance' appears on his death certificate.  Interred at Maryborough Cemetery. 

(As a footnote, his family - ie "Mrs Burgoyne, 2 Misses Burgoyne, Messrs F and V Burgoyne and Masters E and A Burgoyne" - depart Queensland on the 'Katoomba' for either Sydney or Melbourne on 05 Nov 1898.)

Sorry it's so long! 

We know so much, and yet so little ...

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Grant, five hours from clocking on again but pleased that's done ...

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 10 January 11 18:31 GMT (UK) »

Well done,  Grant!  It is fantastic to have that full mini-biog of Dr JTB added to the communal pot of data.  Obviously a fair bit of the raw material was already accessible via the Anc***ry.com message-board thread,  but it is very useful to have your updated and expanded version available here -- especially now we have it in such a clear chronological sequence.  Something to pair with the excellent piece that Barry has compiled for JTB's pharaonic sister.

One probably should not smile too broadly about the misadventures of others,  even if they occurred a century and more ago ("there but for the grace of God ...");  but I did especially enjoy certain passages of what you posted . . .

26 Aug 1892: Creditors invited to register with the Registrar in Bankruptcy.  (I had a feeling in my waters that this was coming!)  Now residing in Napier Street, Paddington, New South Wales ...

22 Apr 1893: "World-renowned electrician, physician and surgeon", now quartered at 112 Phillip Street, Sydney.  Florid snake-oil style advertisements for "the Electric Girdle" among other cure-alls begin appearing weekly from early December 1892 in the Maitland Mercury.  They are initially under the name "The Kelly Institute" with Dr J T Burgoyne as the point of contact.  By February 1893 "The Kelly Institute" references have been dropped and the goods and services on offer are now fully under his name and practice logo.  On 22 April 1893 they cease, but only after Dr J T Burgoyne has attained a truly impressive CV and flawless success rate ...

22 July 1893: Reinvents himself as Dr Jeckell Vinés, but remains at 112 Phillip Street, Sydney.  Dr Jeckell is "Legally Qualified and Registered by the Medical Board of New South Wales. PROFESSOR OF ELECTRO-MEDICINE AND THERAPEUTICS.  ... whose experience of 23 Years' continuous practice enables him to guarantee the cure of every accepted case ... " ...

29 Jun 1898: On his 49th birthday, died at Maryborough Hospital, Queensland of 'heart disease' ('convulsions due to intemperance' on death certificate) ...

I wonder whether he was in blood steeped so far that he failed to hear the auditory associations of the name "Jeckell" with the word "Hyde".  But then perhaps through it all (and "dry" in no other sense whatever) he held on to a certain sense of humour.  ;)

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Moatville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 10 January 11 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Wow - thats some info from Grant - can't compete with that!

Just a smidgeon of new info on John Burgoyne, Cleos dad. I was scanning PRONI's site today and noticed the following entries

Belfast and Province of Ulster Directory 1863-4 pages307 and 734

'Burgoyne,John, civil engineer Belfast Barracks 43 Mountview' AND
'Burgoyne,John, Spafield' (Holywood)

Same directory 1858-9
Burgoyne J Riversdale (Holywood) pages 440-1

Same directory 1865 page 773
Burgoyne John, Spafield

We can place John in the Holywood area before Cleo married William Power. Was he stationed in Belfast/ living in Holywood, working for the army before being moved to Dundalk? Dates would fit and enable a courtship period before Cleos marriage in 1867

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 06:20 GMT (UK) »

That is great new info,  Moatville.  Especially this bit:
Belfast and Province of Ulster Directory 1863-4 pages307 and 734

'Burgoyne,John, civil engineer Belfast Barracks 43 Mountview' AND
'Burgoyne,John, Spafield' (Holywood)

That is the very first evidence that I can recall seeing that shows him working for the army in Belfast -- i.e. extending his "range" beyond the Curragh and Dundalk.

Plus it is another valuable link that allows us to tie JB the Holywood-dweller with JB the civil engineer (and/or clerk of works) working for the RE.

Back in October I made Barry aware of a press advert that serves the same function,  thanks to its very last word.  You may well have spotted it for yourself;  but I rather think that it has not been specified in the public thread -- an omission that I ought to remedy.  So here it is:

Belfast News-Letter,  13 Aug. 1869
TO BE LET, DETACHED VILLA, STANDING on Three and a half Acres of Ground, MARMION LODGE, Holywood, containing every accommodation for a gentleman's residence.  An Acre of Ground can be had for a garden if required.
   For particulars, apply, by letter, to
                 JOHN BURGOYNE, Esq., Dundalk.

The third such link of which I am aware is the one you mentioned here,  at the foot of your second post:

... Finally - I noticed an old newspaper add for a house sale in Co Louth and the contact names were - you gueseed it - Burgoyne and Power, Holywood

In my browsings among the old newspapers I have not yet managed to find that particular item.  For the reasons already mentioned,  it is potentially quite an important "linking" piece of evidence -- so I would very much appreciate it if you could post the exact details into the thread (whether by full text,  or ref. to newspaper and date,  or search settings that work to bring it up).

Many thanks again for those directory entries.

I am trying to pull together fuller info about JB's time in Ulster,  and I hope to post some more about that before too long.

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Moatville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Had a look tonight at my saved documents and to my disgust I have saved them in html format for a subscription site so cannot access them without paying up - again. I will do this next week but like Grant have limited time due to the demands of youngsters.

I did however do a scan of references in the Belfast Newsletter for J Burgoyne - throughout 1859/60 there are many references to his involvement in the formation of Holywood (4 miles east of Belfast) Gas Company
In 1864 there seem to be references to be reelected as a director for same
Also in 1864-5 references to his involvement in the creation of Public Baths in Holywood.

Cant find much after this (one possible hit in 1867).

Will pay up next week and do a trawl for him again, and save them as pdf files this time for posterity - and this thread!!! Is it possible to post pdf files here?

John

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 13 January 11 02:25 GMT (UK) »

Oh dear -- you have my sympathy,  John!  Maddening when the tech kit plays such tricks on one;  I know that sort of frustration all too well.

With ref. to "access ... without paying up",  I shall PM you some info that might just help a bit.

I think that I have probably seen most of the hits you mention in your post;  I was just having trouble bringing up the specific advert about property in Co. Louth for which Power and Burgoyne of Holywood were mentioned as joint contacts.  Do you recall any other points about it,  I wonder -- e.g. rough date?  I do hope that between us we can lay our hands on it again.

Ref. posting attached images into threads,  it is possible,  subject to a 500 KB limit each time (see Help button at top).  But having gone to the expense of making their own images of the old papers,  Gale and the BL have a valid current copyright in what they created;  so one needs to make one's own transcriptions.

Rol

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 23 January 11 03:14 GMT (UK) »

Right,  the time is nigh for a big dump of info about John Burgoyne's "Irish Period".

As I mentioned a while back,
Reading sections of the two threads again,  I am struck by the many gaps that remain about the Burgoyne family's time in Ireland.  It still galls me that that John's Irish will seems to have been lost in the Four Courts fire,  with no surviving solicitor's draft or extracted copy having yet turned up -- nor even a Kentish MI that might tell us more about his final employment as a clerk [of works??] at Woolwich Arsenal.  Given that Maria Theresa was made executrix and lived in London,  there really ought to be a copy of the missing will in some English solicitor's file of client papers.  One day . . .

I do not claim to be filling in all those gaps (nothing new on JB's presumed spell working at the Curragh);  but I now want to "deliver" on this
I am trying to pull together fuller info about JB's time in Ulster,  and I hope to post some more about that before too long.
and on the similarly worded -- and now rather staler -- "threat" I made soon after Moatville's first posts in this thread:
Hi again Moatville ...
The new Irish information (principally via Gale's 19th Century British Newspapers?) is very interesting;  I have been having a further look at the Gale database myself,  and I think that the links between John Burgoyne (JB) the clerk of works at Dundalk barracks and JB the Holywood-dweller do now look a fair bit stronger than I had originally thought.  I hope to post further about that soon.

Hold tight please . . .

Rol