Author Topic: Toronto Newspapers  (Read 6110 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto Newspapers
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 14 January 12 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm not Nancy :), but I did a quick check of the Star from Dec 11 1940 - Dec 26 1940 and there are no McInnes obits. 

You can check with the Brampton library - maybe they can tell you where a 1940s obit for Brampton might have been published.     

http://www.bramlib.on.ca/adults/localhistory/index.php

RK

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 January 12 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Run .. thankyou for looking. I did contact the Brampton Library .. and they found ...................

page 20 Dec 12 1940 issue of Brampton Conservator .. "Deaths - McGinnis Meadowvale, died Wednesday, Dec 11 1940 at Peel Memorial Hospital, Brampton, funeral Saturday 3 pm., home of Mr Ken Gunimerson Meadowvale. Interment Streesville Cemetery."
 I have a photo of the tombstone in Streetsville Cem. ... and it is spelled McInnes on the stone.
I believe he was born in Lambton County .. and went west in the late 1890's .. where his wife past away at a young age ( having at least 9 kids) .. she died at Yorkton Sask, 1896 .. so John most have returned to Ontario.
 I was hoping for a more lengthy death report .. than the small one .. that the library found.
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 January 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
A long shot, BUT, if you don't ask the question, you don't get the answer  ;D

I did take out a subscription to view the Toronto Star archives and gleaned all mentions of Archbell, but this death did not appear.

Mary Elizabeth Archbell (nee Sharp), died 1943 in Toronto.  I know that she is buried at Resthaven Memorial Garden, along with her husband, George Thomas who died in 1945 (got his death notice from Toronto Star).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BumbleB

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline oorwill44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Completed
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nancy,

Not sure if your still doing these look ups but even some advice would be great.

Have 2 relatives that died in Toronto and trying to find the obits for them.
Samuel Owens died around 1948, born 12 Dec 1883 in Ayrshire and his wife Isabella Owens nee McKinnon died about 1953, born 19 July, 1870 in Orillia, Ontario, Canada. They lived at 129 Lee Avenue, Toronto.

I have tried several places but no luck in finding them. Pages of the Past and Ontario obits. On Ontario obits, tried several ways but when I put in Owens, it comes back with other people that died in Owen Sound, On.

Any advice appreciated.
Thank you,
Glen