Author Topic: 1841 Death, Neath - Faulkner  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
1841 Death, Neath - Faulkner
« on: Sunday 20 February 05 21:21 GMT (UK) »
The gravestone of my ggggg grandfather, Thomas Faulkner, is in Binsted, West Sussex, and the inscription is as follows:

In memory of Thomas Faulkner who died at Bethlehem Green April 3rd 1841 aged 76

The only Bethlehem Green I have been able to find is a Calvinistic Methodist (Prebyterian?) chapel in Neath.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks,
Deborah
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline raygriffiths139

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Death, Neath - Faulkner
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 March 05 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dimps,

Thomas Faulkner died in the Qtr of Apr 1841, at St Albans
VOL  V1 (6) Page 314.  His death cert can be obtained by quouting the above.  Hopfully this will then answer your inquiry's.

Ray

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 05 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Ray.  I have already sent for that certificate.  I've a feeling it's the wrong Thomas Faulkner, though.  Many deaths were not registered back then.  Somebody from the West Sussex RO took a walk in Binsted to have a look at the gravestone a couple of weeks ago and they say it says "Bethleham Green" rather than "Bethlehem Green".  I'll post an update when I receive the certificate.

Deborah
Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 April 05 00:01 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd let you know - to lay this posting to rest:  I received the St. Alban's cert.  As suspected, nothing to do with my Thomas.  I followed a hunch and investigated Bethnal Green in E. London.  Found a Thomas Faulkner died in Bethnal Green insane asylum one year and one day after the death, according to the gravestone, of my Thomas.  Investigated further and found that many of the inmates were from Sussex.  Bought 1841 Sussex Census - found Thomas still alive two months after date on gravestone.  Chichester RO recommended looking at Poor Law Union Minutes.  A distant relative, also researching Thomas, hot-footed it to Chichester and found minutes in July 1841 recording that Thomas Faulkner of Binsted being insane, was to be examined by a doctor and if necessary sent to the asylum.  He died of exhaustion. :-\

Deborah