Author Topic: Claregalway Cordial family  (Read 17582 times)

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Claregalway Cordial family
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Betony,
Just found Henry Cordial and the info is much as you outlined. Born Granargh ( although today they spell it Granard ) in Longford. Served with the 44th Foot and also the rifle Brigade. Could not however get anything on the other James although I will keep looking.
Regards
Brian1
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline betony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 14:51 BST (UK) »
This is great, Brian! It's always nice to have the information confirmed. By the way, do you have any idea where Kingsborough is? I couldn't find it in the gazeteer...

Beth
Family Names - Cordial (or Cordeal), Emery, Gregory, Guthrie

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Betony,
Thanks for your last posting. Kingsborough is about 4.5 miles from Longford and I think it is a town. Granard is also close to Longford and is just on the border of the county.
Regards
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 September 05 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Betony,
Have sent for the service details of Henry Cordial and should have them shortly.
Will inform you upon receipt of same.
Brian1

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 September 05 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Bethony,
Reference the baptism records for Granard. There is a Henry Cordial baptised in May 1796.
Do you agree that this is almost certainly our Henry?
Brian

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 September 05 23:22 BST (UK) »
Me Again,
Just found out that Henry's father was Robert Cordial and that his mother was A. O'Neil. They had 5 children I have found listed namely
Mary July 1787
Bridget June 1788
Elizabeth December 1793
Henry May 1796
Ann July 1798
This is assuming we have the right Henry.
Don't think that the James you refer to is his father or brother. Could be a cousin or similar
Brian

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 September 05 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Betony,
Just trying to make sense of the timeline. It states that Henry marries Elizabeth. Could you tell me were you got this piece of information.
Strange that there is no reference in his army record of a Mona Cordial.
If we take it that Henry was born in 1796 then he would have left the army around 1843/ 44 , then he must have been discharged not long after the birth Sarah Mary in Nova Scotia.
Brian

Offline betony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

Sorry for the delay in replying ... I've been on holiday for a few days.

Wow, this info is amazing!!

You're right, the Henry baptised in Granard sure looks like ours. Regarding his wife, I'm ashamed to say I don't have written proof. The lady I corresponded with on Ancestry.com found my GG Grandfather's (James) birth record in the Army lists and she was listed as his mother. Violet was going to send me the records, but I never received them.

Thank you so much for sharing the info on Robert Cordial. Hopefully, we'll be able to unearth some facts that will help us decide if this Henry is indeed our man. As you say, it doesn't look like the first James is Henry's father, but I'm sure they must be related. As you say, he might be an uncle or cousin.

The chase continues!!

I'm expecting to get Henry's military records in the mail this week. Perhaps there will be more clues there...

So the mysterious Mona is not mentioned? As I mentioned earlier, I KNOW I've seen her name before. I remember it because it seemed unusual amidst all the Marys and Marthas. I went hunting through the 1837 site which has some overseas records but haven't turned anything up yet. I will let you know if I find anything.

All the best!

Beth
Family Names - Cordial (or Cordeal), Emery, Gregory, Guthrie

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Betony,
If you look in the army sections on the postings at Rootschat you will see that I have had a lot of help on the 44th Foot and Rifle Brigade.
If I get Henry's army records before you I will post them. Expect them now within a week.
Brian