Author Topic: Claregalway Cordial family  (Read 17581 times)

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Claregalway Cordial family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 20:48 BST (UK) »
Betony,
I will need a little time to scan the documents relevant to the Cordials that I have. I will then post them in an email to you. I have taken about 10 photo's of the village of ClareGalway which is about 8 miles out of Galway city.
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline betony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 21:02 BST (UK) »
No problem, I appreciate any info you could give me.

In reply to your previous message:

I think the first James listed is Henry's father, but I don't know for sure.

My understanding of the rest of the line is this:

It seems Henry had at least four children: James (b. 1824), John (b. 1828) and now Mona and Sarah. I think (but am not sure) that the other people listed in italics may also be Henry's children. (Unless he had a brother or cousin also serving in the Rifle Brigade?)

Henry's eldest son, James, also had four children that I'm aware of: Mary Ellen (1853), Cecille Elizabeth (1860), Martha Edith (1866) and James Courts (1868).

James Courts had five children that I know of:
Gladys Mary (my grandmother) (1896), James P. (1898), Cecille Martha, an infant who was born and died in 1900, Eva May (1903), Enid Courts (1905) and Ronald (1908).

I know I have seen a reference somewhere to a Mona Cordial. I will try to find it for you.

Betony
Family Names - Cordial (or Cordeal), Emery, Gregory, Guthrie

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 August 05 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Betony,
I had a long chat on the phone with my other cousin who lives in Boston, Mass. and she was over the moon about the information you had provided about the Cordials. I am sending you an email with her details after I finish this post.
One thing has puzzled me and that is the occurence of the Court name i.e. James Court Cordial. Is this a christian name or something different?
I was trying to puzzle why Henry ended up in Clare Galway. Could it have been that he retired from the army and set up home there, or mybe his wife Elizabeth went to live there whilst he was in the army and he visited on leave? Any thoughts on the matter?
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 August 05 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Betony,
Just tried to send a photo but it tells me that the file size was too large.

If you want additional info by email then please let me have your email. Don't send yours via this posting try the personal mail section.
Brian

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 August 05 16:57 BST (UK) »
Me Again,

Just sent you a personal email. Did you get it?

Brian

Offline betony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 August 05 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help with posting .. I'm easily confused :)

It doesn't look like my last message to you went through. I was replying to your question about the Courts name. Please excuse me if I'm repeating myself here...

On my mother's side of the family, the eldest son was often given his mother's maiden name as a middle name. James Courts' mother was Martha Courts of Fowey, Cornwall.

As far as the Clare Galway question ... I wouldn't be surprised if Henry did settle there after he left the Army in 1845. By the way, I see I've made a mistake in his birth year on the timeline. He was discharged at age 48, so he must have been born around 1797, not 1801. Math was never my strong suit :)

Do you think its possible that Elizabeth was from that area? You'll see that John was born in Galway (too bad it doesn't say exactly where) in 1828. But at that time both batallions of the Rifle Brigade were stationed overseas. It would make sense that she stayed behind, especially since she also had a four-year-old. 

It would also make sense that they then retired there...

Funnily enough when James (b 1824) retired from the Army in the 1860's, he and his family also returned to Ireland. I'm just not sure where he settled. But James Courts enlisted in Mullingar and Cecille Elizabeth was married there. I thought they might have gone back to Granard, but maybe they went to Clare Galway, too...

Mysteries, mysteries!

Beth (aka Betony)

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 August 05 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Betony,
Have posted a message on the Longford site to see if anyone can help locate the birth of Henry Cordial from the birth register for Granard. Will keep you informed if any info comes my way
Brian1

Offline betony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 August 05 21:35 BST (UK) »
Sounds good, Brian! Thnaks for keeping m in the loop...

Beth

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Betony,
Just one additional piece of info I have unearthed on James Cordial. As you say he was born Kingsborough, Longford and served with the 28th Dragoons ( Light ) and the 6th Dragoon guards.
He was discharged aged 44, which makes which should be circa 1842.
Brian1