Author Topic: Decoding a NAAIRS result  (Read 1578 times)

Offline LesDx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Decoding a NAAIRS result
« on: Saturday 02 May 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Can someone please explain the significance of the dates on the end of NAAIRS results details?

I have a result with an 'ending date' 20 years after the known death of the person.

viz: Starting 1904; Ending 1975.

Death was in 1955.

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
Re: Decoding a NAAIRS result
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 May 09 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Les,

What sort of file are you refering to?

If you are asking about an Estate file then an early date might indicate a document contained in the file (eg. a will) dated well before the date of death.  Dates later than the date of death usually indicate Liquidation and Distribution accounts and other estate matters.  I've also come across cases where the date of death of the spouse (pre-deceased or surviving) is included.

best wishes
Leanne

ENG - Bath, Blacker, Brockman, Brook, Bundock, Cains, Davenport+, Earle, Edmonds^,Fletcher, Hinds, Holehouse, Holliday+, Jackson*, Laver+, Leach*,Litt^, Oxenham, Pirie*, Radford, Robinson, Staples*, Starkey+, Tarr*, Toye, Warner*, Whiffen, White, Wooley, Wright
IRE - Barnes, Caples, Hurst, McNamara, Quirk, Ryan, Towell, Wilson
SCOT - Craig, Davidson, Hervie, Kerr, McCallum, McFarlane, Reid, Robinson, Thorburn, Wright

* 1820 to Cape of Good Hope
^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus

Offline LesDx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Decoding a NAAIRS result
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 May 09 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Leanne.

The file description is just 'Immigration Papers' with my relative's name.  I have another reference for the Estate Papers and am currently awaiting a copy.  Maybe there will be some helpful information in there.  The dates for that are starting and ending in 1955.