Author Topic: pierce family Gwyddelwern  (Read 20077 times)

Offline boleyna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
pierce family Gwyddelwern
« on: Sunday 03 May 09 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help or give me some advice on tracing the Pierce family of Gwyddelwern/Corwen.

I have gone back as far as my great grandfather x3 John Pierce, he lived and was born in Gwyddelwern in around 1818 and died 23 november 1887. He was the parish clerk and he married Amelia Jones of Corwen. Amelia was born around 1816 and died 28 July 1897.

Their children were Richard Goodman Pierce, Henry Pierce, Harriot Pierce, Louisa Pierce and Simon Goodman Pierce.

Simon is my greatgrandfather x2

Offline nanato5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: pierce family Gwyddelwern
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 09 10:55 BST (UK) »
hi ,on freecen the family are,john pierce,age 52,parish clerk,merionethshire,gwyddelwern,amelia pierce wife,age 54,born corwen,louisa pierce,dau,age 19,general servant,born gwyddelwern,simon pierce,son,age 16,stone mason,borngwyddelwern,have you seen that one on freecen,adress just says village,parish of st asaph,eva
mcgilp & pringle,kilbride ,bute                                                 
mackie,fife .                                                                 
brabender& pringle,glasgow.edward biggar,peebles                                                 
pringle&brown,& aitken,glasgow ,                                                           
wight,east lothian & borders.little,lothian.

Offline nanato5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 09 10:56 BST (UK) »
 that was on 1871 census
mcgilp & pringle,kilbride ,bute                                                 
mackie,fife .                                                                 
brabender& pringle,glasgow.edward biggar,peebles                                                 
pringle&brown,& aitken,glasgow ,                                                           
wight,east lothian & borders.little,lothian.

Offline boleyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 09 11:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. Do you know why it would just say village for the address? I know later on, I think on the 1891 census, Amelia is listed as living in Rose cottage. Does anyone know if that is still there in Gwyddelwern.

Thanks again for your help.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 May 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

My records only go to 1812 but there is no sign of a Pierce family either in baptisms (1769-1812) or marriages(1754-1812) in Gwyddelwern.

They must have come from another parish or maybe used a  patronymic form.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline boleyna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 May 09 14:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gadget. I know John was born in 1818 in Gwyddelwern, after your records end, but from your records, his father must have been from another parish.

Do your records cover just Gwyddelwern or the whole Corwen area?

I have seen a document, St Asaph Notitia Deanery of Edeyrnion and Penllyn Parish of Corwen 1686 on line and there is a Symon Pierce ap Hugh on it. I was wondering if this was one of my ansestors, given the fact that John called his son Simon, I'm wondering if it was a family name. But if you records cover Corwen and all the surrounding villages, and there is no records of any Pierce, it makes it unlikely. Do you think it possible that John's father may have been from Corwen and moved to the village of Gwyddelwern after 1812?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm new to this and find the different names of the district/parish/villages etc very confusing. I'm not sure what is where and what village comes under which parish etc.

Thanks again.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 May 09 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've got most of the records of the surrounding parishes because quite a few of my ancestors were from that area and around Bala Lake.

I'll check them out for you tomorrow.

I'll PM Paul who goes to the Hawarden records office regularly. They have the Gwyddelwern records so he might be able to find a baptism for you  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 May 09 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi again

THere are a few refs to a Pierce family in Corwen:

Baptism 18 Sept 1748 John Pierce to Thomas Robert Pierce and Elizabeth. However, their abode is given as Wrexham

Also, which looks interesting for your future parish clerk:

Marriage July 25 1755 Revd William Evans to Susan Pierce , both of the parish by licence so it would be in the Aberystwyth marriage bonds listing

and

Marriage May 13 1768 Rice Williams of Wrexham and Jane Pierce (of the parish) by Banns.

Burials:

Aug 28 1748 Elizabeth Pierce of Trewyn
Oct 4 1756 Susannah Pierce of Cefn Rug
Nov 9 Mrs Lowry Pierce of Mostyn

I've not gone through the patronymics so far.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 May 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
There are more Pierce in Corwen in the earlier registers (to 1740). A David and Robert Pierce seem to be having children.

I'll wait to hear from Paul about John's baptism before I investigate any further.

Gadget