Author Topic: Greaves Family, the Hermitage, Mayfield: Completed  (Read 13671 times)

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greaves Family, the Hermitage, Mayfield: Completed
« on: Tuesday 05 May 09 08:12 BST (UK) »
Completed thanks.

Hello,

My ancestor is Valentine Blake Greaves who was the son of William Greaves and Barbara Turner who lived at the Hermitage in Mayfield, Staffordshire.  Valentine was born in about 1831 and later emigrated to Australia.  Valentine appears to have come from a large family (Siblings: Percival, Eleanor, Clement, Agnes, Edward, Catherine, Octavius and Elizabeth - assuming I have the right family).  Has anyone compiled information on William Greaves or Barbara Turner and family of Mayfield - living in Mayfield in the early to late 1800s? 

Thanks

Offline julier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Greaves Family, the Hermitage, Mayfield: Completed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 06:36 BST (UK) »
hello

I have been researching Greaves of beeley. my ancestor is william a.b. greaves whom I believe is valentines brother. he also came to australia and is my great great grandfather. I also have a copy of a letter that Eliza, their sister wrote, listing family members and connections to people in ireland. Im now looking into the family tree and any info on the the hermitage at mayfield etc. did you have any luck. I'm knew to this but have found great site regarding greaves going way back. unsure what i'm allowed to post here.

thanks

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 11:34 BST (UK) »
Julier,
Thanks for the response.  It seems we are from the same ancestry.  I have sent you a personal message and I hope you receive it.  We may have been looking at the separate data on-line on the Greaves Family of Beeley, Derbyshire.  Wonderful detail in the records.  After my ancestor's mother (Barbara Turner) passed away in 1867 her husband William, who lived at the Hermitage in Mayfield Staffordshire, remarried but he then died a few years later and his second wife subsequently moved away from The Hermitage.  As you know, some of the children of the first marriage emigrated to Australia, including my ancestor Valentine Blake Greaves.     RootsChat has been a quite a help for me.       Belconnen.

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 09 07:27 BST (UK) »
Julier,

Looking on the web at the history of the Greaves it seems they lived in several locations but mainly in Beeley in Derbyshire and Mayfield in Staffordshire - at least for the ancestral line that interests me.  I have never viewed the Hermitage - it is the address that my ancestor was recorded at in the 1850s+.

Belconnen

Offline HastobeKatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 December 09 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm a direct descendant of William Greaves of the Hermitage in Mayfield and my family have done quite a bit of research on the family tree (and visited the current occupiers of the Hermitage and been given a guided tour!).  Please feel free to email me.

Offline HastobeKatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I guess I should have added my email address: kathie dot gadd at virgin dot net.

Julie - my daughter is going to Australia (Brisbane) next May for a year (hence why I was on here - trying to dig out more information to show her about your ancestor William AB Greaves and his role in defining the NSW / QLD state boundaries).  My ancestory is from William AB Greaves's brother, Clement, who is father of Ida Greaves (my great grandmother).   I understood WABG failed his medical school exams and was too afraid to go and face his father (Sir William - i.e. Barbara Turner's husband - who was a bit of a tyrant LOL).  Instead he took a passage to Australia...  Is the story correct, or is this family rumour and misinformation :o)?

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello HastobeKatt,

Great to hear from you.  Yes, we appear to have the same ancestry going back to William Greaves (1800-1873) and his wife Barbara Turner of Mayfield, Staffordshire.  My line is through Valentine Blake Greaves (1830-1909) one of their sons.  William Albert Brailsford Greaves was Valentine's brother.  Both settled in Australia in the 1800s.  I do not know a great deal about William AB Greaves except that he was a surveyor, as you say.  His descendants are in Australia and one uses this forum.  I will send you a private message.  I guess you aware that our ancestral "cousins" in the USA are compiling a data base on Greaves/Graves - worldwide.  Regards,  Belconnen

Offline julier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 January 10 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi as well HastobeKatt,

Nice to hear from another member of the family, My GG Grandfather was Wab greaves, From the info I have which is mostly newspaper articles when he died in 1925, was that he was invited out here by Sir Thomas Mitchell, who has a main library named after him in the city if Sydney. Why he invited him out here i'm not sure. Would love to email you if thats ok.

Regards,
JulieR

Offline teddycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 March 11 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello there

I am related to Rosamond Greaves (nee Moreton) who married William Greaves of The Hermitage, Mayfield, in 1870. Do you know anything about the circumstances of their marriage?

There was a 50-year age difference and I think she may have been a servant to the family; I wonder if there are any anecdotes or photographs surviving?

They had two sons, one of whom died of hydrocephalus in infancy. Rosamond (Rose) returned to her home village of Duffield, Derbyshire after William's death in 1873, and eventually married a Benjamin Moseley.

I have a copy the Letters of Administration as William apparently died intestate; also of their marriage certificate.

Thank you