Author Topic: Greaves Family, the Hermitage, Mayfield: Completed  (Read 13669 times)

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greaves Family, the Hermitage, Mayfield: Completed
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 November 11 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Manchestermart,

I have tried to send you a private message but I think you (i.e. being your posts) need 2 more small "posts" before my message will go through the Rootschat system.  Thanks for your offer of assistance.  Nice to hear from you.  As noted in this thread, my ancestor was Valentine Blake Greaves (1830-1909).  Belconnen

Offline manchestermart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 November 11 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thanks for your message. My name is Martin Heys and I am decended from Catherine Sophia Greaves who married George Poyser, the Veterinaray surgeon in Ashbourne. Catherine was  Valantines sister.
Martin

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 November 11 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello teddycat,

I am Belconnen and I have commented briefly before on the marriage of William Greaves (1800-1873) to Rosamond Morton.  Yes, it was William's second marriage after the death of his first wife Barbara. You may already be in contact with "Julier" on this thread.  My line comes through Valentine Blake Greaves (1830-1909) who settled in Australia.  I am unaware of any "consternation" within our particular line concerning the second marriage i.e. over the age difference in the second marriage.  I have, however, seen reference to the age difference in a published article.  If you want to send me a private message through Rootschat I will try to help with what information I have.  The most that I can find out in my own family history is that Valentine Blake Greaves, one of William's sons from his first marriage, was a rather quiet individual.  It is great to hear from you.  Belconnen.

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 November 11 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Manchestermart,

That was a quick response.  If you briefly "post" again you will hit "3" posts and I should be able to get a private message to you.  It is good of you to respond.  Belconnen.

Offline manchestermart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 November 11 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thanks for your reply. It would be good if you were able to contact me. I do have information you may be interested in ref the Greaves of Mayfield. I have  photos of the Hermitage that I can e mail to you.

Talk soon

Best wishes
Martin

Offline Maryborough

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 June 13 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am a descendant of Barbara and William also, via Octavius Butler Greaves (their 8th son) who moved to Queensland in the late 1880s.
I have met descendants of Valentine, William and Catherine, to name some. I too have been blessed to have had a stay (three nights) at The Hermitage in the early 1990s, by the good grace of the generous owners of the time. The cousins in Brisbane are well known to me, as well.  :)
Here's hoping there is still interest in this conversation.
Blessings all from Maryborough

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 02 June 13 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Maryborough - I have sent you a private message via RootsChat which contains my private email address.  I have had some very helpful responses via Rootschat which resulted in photos of William and Barbara our mutual ancestors.  You probably know that we have relatives in England and some were surprised to learn that they had distant cousins in Australia.  I admire the pioneer Greaves family members who came to settle in Queensland in the late 1800s.  What a challenge it must have been at that time.  Their brother, W.A.B. Greaves, who settled in New South Wales is also remembered as a notable surveyor in that State.  I am happy to share family history details with you.  It was good to hear from you.  Belconnen.