Author Topic: Greaves Family, the Hermitage, Mayfield: Completed  (Read 13670 times)

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greaves Family, the Hermitage, Mayfield: Completed
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 March 11 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  I live in Australia and the only information I have is that after William's first wife, Barbara, died in 1867 (aged 61) William subsequently married Rosamond (Rose).  I am a descendant of William and Barbara through their son Valentine Blake Greaves.  The Greaves were a large family and at that time they lived at the Hermitage in Mayfield.  Valentine would have been about 37 years old when his mother passed away.  Several members of the Greaves family emigrated to Australia including Valentine.  Valentine married Edith Adderton in Australia.  Edith emigrated from Lowestoft in Suffolk.  Sadly, Edith died as a young mother and her surviving children were assisted in their childhood by relatives and friends.  The only photo I have is a faded photo of Valentine.  I have his obituary and he was well respected.  He was a court bailiff at one stage and also a gardener.  I have no anecdotes other than that they were a quiet family in what are regarded as "pioneer" times where they settled.  There is a fair amount of material on the worldwide Greaves (Graves) families at www.gravesfa.org .  I will send you a private message.  It was good you to get in contact via this useful website.       

Offline Blake5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 July 11 05:56 BST (UK) »
 Hi,
 I'm trying to trace descendants of Barbara Greaves nee Turner.
 Iam descended from the youngest daughter of Barbara Blake of Menlough, co Galway and Thomas Turner of Hales Hall, Staffordshire. son of William of Warrington.
 She was Mary Ellen, and she, with her husband William Colburn Mayne, emigrated to Australia in 1839.
 Would be interested to make contact with this side of the family in Australia, Britain and the Emerald Isle.
 Blake 5

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 July 11 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Blake 5 and it is great to hear from you.  Thanks also to Rootschat for its efficient service.  I am a direct descendant of Barbara and William Greaves of Mayfield and I live in Australia.  Some of the Greaves family (children of Barbara and William) also emigrated to Australia.  My ancestor was Valentine Blake Greaves (1830-1909) their third son.  What I know of the Blake side of the family has been gleaned from an article by an Irish historian.  Both the Blakes and the Greaves seem to have well documented histories.  You will also have to add the USA to your research list because there is a Graves/Greaves association that has family reunions.  They have an excellent online data base (you may know that, I guess).  I will send you a private message and I am happy to provide what information I have.  Belconnen.

Offline Blake5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 July 11 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Belconnen,
 My side traverses from Sydney up to Springsure in Queensland, and Armidale and Dubbo areas.
 I saw the Greaves connection, and was also aware thanks to Chris Turner.
 One of my 2nd cousins contacted Sir Luke William Burke Teeling via his solicitor before he passed away back in 1975.
He was unaware of Barbara (Jnr) had a sister who had emigrated here to Australia.
I'll add the USA to this site on your advice.
Blake 5

Offline Belconnen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 July 11 11:20 BST (UK) »
Blake 5 - I can only think our relatives who emigrated to Australia must have crossed paths in those early pioneering days - surely - but perhaps I am only guessing.  Valentine Blake Greaves finally settled in Mt Perry in Queensland but he had previously been working just near Maryborough.  His wife-to-be emigrated to Maryborough about the same time with her two younger sisters - what courage and sense of adventure, in my view, for those three young people.  Valentine's older brother William A. B. Greaves settled in NSW.  Their younger brother Octavius Greaves was also in Queensland.  The Greaves were a large family.

Offline julier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 August 11 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hello as well, i have sent you a message, i am also a descendant of george greaves. wab greaves was my great great grandfather. hope you get the message and we can communicate about our family history etc

Offline manchestermart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 October 11 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

My family history connection with the Greaves is the daughter of William and Barbara......Catherine Sophia. She married the veterinary surgeon of Ashbourne, George Poyser. We have stayed a night in The Hermitage which was an unforgetable experience.

We have also made good friends with our new found relatives in Brisbane.

Please feel free to e mail me.

Regards

Offline teddycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 October 11 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello there. Not sure if you saw my posting, but my connection is that my 3 x great aunt, Rosamond, was William Greaves Snr's second wife. She was considerably younger, so I'd imagine this caused some consternation in the family! They had two children but one died infancy. I'd welcome any anecdotes or info you may have.

Kind regards
Tina

Offline julier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 31 October 11 08:01 GMT (UK) »
hello teddycat,

sorry i didnt respond to post before, thought you were talking to beconnen, another cousin i have found from this chat. we were both related to Wab greaves, george greaves son from his first marriage. nice to hear from another line of the family. I will send you a message and maybe you can fill us in on your line of the family a little bit. I regularly email belconnen who is also in australia. I also see manchestermart has posted he is from greaves line also.  talk soon.

regards,

Julie