Author Topic: Changing Surnames  (Read 5537 times)

Offline Harold

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Changing Surnames
« on: Tuesday 27 April 04 22:35 BST (UK) »
My British ancestors seemed to keep changing their surname, in my research I have found several cases where the "husband" took the "wifes" surname.    

Have others found this, I can understand it when a "title" might be involved but for others it does seem a bit odd.

I have been told, when their was no male heir, it was considered almost a given that the son in law would take his father in law's last name to carry it on.

Have others found this to be the case.    It does make it much more difficult to trace families back!!

Harold
Spinks,Middleton,Bodley,Rouse,Guy

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re:Changing Surnames
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 June 04 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Harold,

This is not something I have experienced in my own tree yet.  Thank heavens,  they are difficult enough to pin down as it is.  ::)

Maybe others can let us know if they have had a case of it?

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 June 04 17:35 BST (UK) »
I don't have it in my tree but I read that this happened in Romany families fairly regularly.

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Scottish2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 June 04 00:57 BST (UK) »
When my wife and I married in 1992 I took her surname. Just made things easier in our case.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 June 04 12:58 BST (UK) »
My grandmother always maintained that her husband (my grandfather) took on her name when they married.

However they were both born Williams, so I don't really think I've helped much here.  ;D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 June 04 13:57 BST (UK) »
researching my SPALDING surname was the same.
it seems THURSTON  married a SPALDING and took her name in 1760.
Her father is known as William Spalding b.1744

i recieved this from a fellow researcher:
"The parish church Gorleston has a record of the baptism of Ernest Robert Spalding on 9 September 1867, as confirmed by the church warden on 17 March 1997.

There is no record at OPCS for the birth of an Ernest Spalding.  However, shown in the 1871 Gorleston census as Robert Thurston.

1861 they were at 44 Baker Street, Gorleston.  William & Lucy with 4 children under the name of Spalding

1871 at 138 Baker Street, William & Lucy plus 9 children, including Robert aged 5 years.  All under the surname of Thurston

1881 at 36 Lowestoft Road, William \& Lucy with 5 children including Robert now 15.  All under the name of Thurston

1891 at 1 Clarkes Road off Lowestoft Road, William & Lucy with two children.  All under the name of Spalding!

1901 robert and victoria are at 74,selcroft road,greenwich.with harry aged 10,arnold age 6 and arthur aged 8months.back on the right track with SPALDING surname again   ::) makes you wonder what was going on!

jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 June 04 13:59 BST (UK) »
My grandmother always maintained that her husband (my grandfather) took on her name when they married.

However they were both born Williams, so I don't really think I've helped much here.  ;D

nice one! ;D ;D ;D

jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 June 04 20:11 BST (UK) »

Was there a particular reason he took her name?  Were they afraid the Williams name would die out?   ;D ;D ;D

Nice one D.  ;)

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 June 04 08:15 BST (UK) »
I think he'd had enough of being referred to as one of the Williams of Anglesey. Belonging to the Williams' of Caernarfonshire was obviously more attractive. :D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II