Author Topic: Llangollen - Jane Kendricks Hughes [1864] my great'Nain'  (Read 2813 times)

Offline marilou

• RootsChat Extra
  • August 2005 Bountiful (UT) Temple, me (ctr) w/chil
    • View Profile
Llangollen - Jane Kendricks Hughes [1864] my great'Nain'
« on: Monday 21 February 05 04:56 GMT (UK) »
just rec'd bunches of photos, and a pedigree chart from my aunt's estate.  it's the family of George and Catherine (Jones) Slawson. ;D

the fifth child is a Sarah Ann, who married William Berry [from Warrington/ chimney sweep & local preacher\ buried in  Denbrig??. Died young with nervous breakdown]

i believe William was the natural father of Mary Elizabeth Berry, born in Llangollen 14 Jul 1881 and her mother was Jane Kendrick?Hughes, born 1 April 1864.

need help here. i'm not having any luck with the LDS Family History Library here in Utah   ::)

Offline Llosgi Calch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census Info Crown Copyright of National Archives
    • View Profile
Re: Llangollen - Jane Kendricks Hughes [1864] my great'Nain'
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 February 05 18:03 GMT (UK) »
On the 1891 Census...

living at '8 Bridge Street, Wrexham, Denbighshire'

William Berry, Head, Mar, 41, chimney sweep, b. Wrexham
Sarah A. Berry, wife, mar, 31, b. Llangollen.
Mary E. Hughes, Adopted, 10, scholar, b. Llangollen
Catherine Berry, Daur, 5, b. Llangollen
William Berry, son, 3, b. Wrexham
George Berry, son, 1, b. Wrexham
Lewis - Minera, Denbighshire & Llanerfyl, Montgomeryshire.<br />Davies - Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbighshire.<br />Williams - Llanynys, Denbighshire.<br />Roberts - Cerrigydrudion, Denbighshire.<br />Clark(e) & Price - Wrecsam, Denbighshire.

Offline Llosgi Calch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 February 05 18:15 GMT (UK) »
After viewing the census of 1881, & then 1871 there are two Jane Hughes' which  stand out with an accurate age....

1871 Census, living at Vron, Bache, Llangollen.
Edward Hughes, Head, 35, Gardener, b. Llangollen
Jane Hughes, wife, 34, b. Glyn
Thomas Hughes, son, 12, b. Llangollen
Mary Hughes, daur, 10, b. Llangollen
Jane Ann Hughes, daur, 6, b. Llangollen
Edward Hughes, son, 4, b. Llangollen

1871 Census, living at Pen-Y-Graig, Llangollen
Letuce Hughes, Wife, married, Labourer's wife, b. Llangollen
William Hughes, son, 8, b.Llangollen
Jane Hughes, daur, 6, b.Llangollen
Mary Hughes, daur, 3, b.Llangollen
Ellen Hughes, daur, 4 months, b.Llangollen

In 1881, only Jane 'A' Hughes is knocking about. - Cant find the Jane Hughes.
For the record there are two infant orphans in the local workhouse, aged under 1 year.
They are David & Jane Hughes b. 1880 in Llangollen, (twins) - these Hughes kids would be the same age as the adopted Mary - makes you wonder if they are connected, maybe?
Lewis - Minera, Denbighshire & Llanerfyl, Montgomeryshire.<br />Davies - Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbighshire.<br />Williams - Llanynys, Denbighshire.<br />Roberts - Cerrigydrudion, Denbighshire.<br />Clark(e) & Price - Wrecsam, Denbighshire.

Offline marilou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 February 05 01:18 GMT (UK) »
 ;D
Thanks to both of you for all your help.  i'll follow up on all this new information on my next trip down to The Family History Library in SLC.  i knew none of this, and neither did anyone else still surviving. 

'Nain's' youngest gr.daughter died in 2001 and i had no clue of where to look except Llangollen.  don't go away, i'll let you know what I find out.

'Nain's' only child was born in Llangollen in 1881, July 14 and names Mary Elizabeth Berry.  i have pictures taken by my aunt when she visited Llangollen - since they were based w/USAF in Germany 1953-57??, i guess is that when she visited.  one picture is a creek, and she wrote to Gram 'the creek where you used to play,' and one of the Jenny Jones Inn.

once again MANY THANKS for all your help

Offline Llosgi Calch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 February 05 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I've had many (if not too many!) pints in the 'Jenny Jones Inn' over the years.
Good luck in your investigation's.

Offline marilou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 March 05 16:44 GMT (UK) »
 ;D  you guys are so awsome!! 

found the 1871 census, and copies off all pages for llangollen.  because on it, is the household of george and catherine (jones) slawson - the pedgree chart from my aunt's estate.

but no matter what name i use, i canNOT find gram's birth - mary elizabeth, 14 july 1881. mother jane, father unknown.  would it have been registered at the church but not officially??? ???

do i have to come over there and bend my elbow at the jenny jones (diet Cole only)??

even had one of the folks working there helping and neither of us could find it.  does anyone have any ideas?? i was at the FHL for 6 hours - until they closed the building and couldn't find any more places to look.

Offline marilou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 March 05 17:21 BST (UK) »
HI EVERYONE. 

i spent about 6 hours in SLC yesterday, and finally found that one mary e hughes came over on cunard line's aurania's only voyage to nyc - arriving sept 30, 1897.  she went to her mother's @1386 34th st, chicago, illonois.  it all works, now that y'all gave me the name HUGHES  ;D  the 1900 census shows her at that address - using the name of berry, but unmarried.

yet the machines will still NOT let me pull up a birth record, under the name hughes or berry.  any ideas?????  i have found that llangollen is in the parish of corwen - so have been looking for MARY E HUGHES, in denbighshire, carwen district, born july 1881.  where am i going wrong?????

Offline marilou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to everyone  ;D , and to another site, "UKphonebook.com" 

with your help, i looked up all current Slawson 's in Denbighshire, got 17 names and addresses and sent out letters to all.  rec'd 2 replies, and besides making new connections,  one darling went in search at Wrexham, and found Gram's birth registered, got a copy of it and sent me the certificate.  SHE WAS BORN 14 JULY 1880, not 1881 as we'd been told.  and it is Mary Elizabeth HUGHES.

so now i get to proceed back one more generation and find out just who 'Nain' was.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for leading me in the right direction to look.

marilou