Author Topic: McGEEs in Clare?  (Read 2942 times)

Offline sendraguy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGEEs in Clare?
« on: Tuesday 05 May 09 15:14 BST (UK) »
The recent 1911 Census has revealed that my paternal grandfather Thomas McGee was born in Co Clare. ( though the census has been completed not by Thomas but by his wife )
This comes as a surprise to me  Thomas, born 1864? and his father James McGee, b.1825 and mother Mary Jane, b.1827, moved to the north east of England in the 1870s and settled in Felling, near Gateshead. There was also a brother David McGee, b. 1863.

My father used to tell me that the family name was really McKee and that the family had changed their name to McGee when entering England.  Why?  Both names seem like Ulster names to me and I never expected to find them coming from Clare. There was some story about them needing to appear as protestant in the fiercely sectarian Felling in order to settle and find work. This seemed to imply that they had forsaken their Catholic religion.

James McGee and his wife Mary Jane appear on the 1881 UK census but not thereafter. Nor does their son David. Did they return to Ireland?
Son Thomas married Ellen Jane McGowan, the daughter of a local builder and he remained in England till his death in 1935.
I would greatly appreciate any insight into all this.

Dave McGee

Moderator's Comment: New information found says family were from Clare, Co. Armagh so please reply to Co. Armagh topic if you can help to avoid duplication.

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,380529.msg2532732.html#msg2532732
Milburn, McKee, Sellers, Wilkinson, Hamilton, McGowan, Turnbull, Eyres, Hanson, Catlow, Hallam.