Author Topic: Corclune - Ovens - c1811  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Corclune - Ovens - c1811
« on: Tuesday 05 May 09 19:16 BST (UK) »
John Ovens (a direct ancestor) was born in Ireland c1809.  I can track him after 1849, in New Jersey and Toronto, Canada.  He supposedly was married in 1842 in Jersey City, New Jersey.

John is on the 1881 Ontario Census:
John Ovens, born 1811, Ireland, Merchant
Wife (Jane Wakefield Ovens) and children included with him on census; they were Methodist.
Living with the family is Jennie Stinson, age 20, born Ontario, Methodist.  I don't know who Jennie was.

Family lore states the Ovens family was from Co Fermanagh or Co Donegal.

On LDS site: Someone posted John Ovens, christening 23-June-1811, Inishmacsaint, Donegal, Ireland.  Parents: William Ovens, Elizabeth Stinson.  I don't know who posted this information.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nirfer/inish_baptism_2.html
1811 June 23 John, parents Wm. Ovens, Elizth (most likely Stinson; they had two other children, according to this site), Corclune.

I have John's death certificate.  Place of birth was "Ireland."  Parents' names were not included on certificate.

Is there a way to confirm the 1811 christening is for my John?  Seems coincidental that a Stinson was living with the Ovens in 1881.  I cannot find Jennie Stinson after 1881 (or before).  Thank you.

(I've posted a thread on the Canada board, inquiring about Jennie.  Some great results are posted, yet to be confirmed.)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=379709.new#new
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)