Author Topic: McIntosh/Brander married at 'Finfan'! --COMPLETE--  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Dunholm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ernest Wilson
    • View Profile
McIntosh/Brander married at 'Finfan'! --COMPLETE--
« on: Wednesday 06 May 09 08:04 BST (UK) »
According to OPR 1840 George McIntosh and Jessie Brander of the Urquhart Parish had banns proclaimed and then were married at Finfan on January 1st 1840.
The only reference to Finfan is a farm that was near Garmouth that had a mineral water supply.
Was it usual to be married this way? And would either of them have been living at the farm at Finfan?

Dunholme
Wilson, Sunderland
McIntosh, Morayshire  Texas,
Dawson,  Lincs Sunderland
McDonald,  New Bruinswick, Sunderland
Worthington, Sunderland
Parker

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McIntosh/Brander married at 'Finfan'!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 14:26 BST (UK) »
In answer to your question - yes it was quite common for the couple to marry at (usually the bride's)  home. This appears to be the case with your couple. If you go on the freecen website & search for Brander in Urquhart parish, you will find the Brander family at Finfan.They are there in 1841 & 1851 anyway!
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Dunholm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ernest Wilson
    • View Profile
Re: McIntosh/Brander married at 'Finfan'!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 14:42 BST (UK) »
My Goodness that was a swift reply!
Thank you so much, I thought it was a mistake, so grateful to you flst.

Dunholme :)
Wilson, Sunderland
Worthington, Sunderland
Parker

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dunholm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ernest Wilson
    • View Profile
Re: McIntosh/Brander married at 'Finfan'! --COMPLETE--
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 08:11 BST (UK) »
 Gosh thank you so much for the photo's, I had foolishly thought the farm would have been long gone. Is there anyway to find out  more about the history of the farm?
It is fascinating to unearth so much information, I am so thankful.
Dunholm
Wilson, Sunderland
Worthington, Sunderland
Parker

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 09:53 BST (UK) »
Is there anyway to find out  more about the history of the farm?

LIBINDX has nothing about it.

From the look of the farm house I'd guess that it was probably built in the late 18th century. There would have been earlier houses, probably small and thatched.

You could trace its ownership through the valuation rolls and registers of sasines.

The Valuation Rolls were produced annually by each county and burgh and they list the proprietors, tenants and occupiers of every house in each parish. The purpose was to assess how much each was due to pay in rates (local taxes). There are copies of some of the Moray ones in the Local Heritage Centre in Elgin, and the National Library of Scotland www.nls.uk and National Archives of Scotland www.nas.gov.uk have (almost?) complete sets. As far as I am aware none of them are available online yet. Unfortunately they stopped compiling them when local government funding was reorganised by the last Conservative government

The Registers of Sasines are the records of transfer of ownership of property (land and buildings) and some of them go back to the 16th century. They are held in the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh, and are not, so far, available online. You wouldn't need to look at the whole documents, because there are calendars of abridgments, arranged by year, which summarise who transferred ownership of what to whom, and by which means (sale, inheritance, gift etc). There are indexes but you need to go in person to the National Archives of Scotland, or commission a researcher to do so on your behalf.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dunholm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ernest Wilson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 July 09 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this valued information,I doubt whether I would be able to travel to Scotland anytime soon but may do so at a later date.
Anna
Wilson, Sunderland
Worthington, Sunderland
Parker