Author Topic: Withers baptism, Newark area  (Read 8988 times)

Offline owl cottage

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Withers baptism, Swinethorpe
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 December 09 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Swinethorpe is an extra parochial parish of North Clifton, notts.  Withers is a name that dates back to the mid 18th century in Harby, Notts.  It is also found in the hamlet of Wigsley, about a mile from Harby.  I have a will , late 19th century, for a Withers and details of a WW1 death of a a Withers WW1.

I have only just found this wedsite, I don't know how it works,  I hope this gets to you,

owlcottage

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 December 09 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Owl Cottage.  I see that Harby is next to Eagle with Swinethorpe so there could be a connection.  What date is the will please?  Any George or William Withers mentioned? 
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline owl cottage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 18:33 GMT (UK) »
dear whoever,
]
Withers is an old village name, dating back to around 1790, I've  no link to George,  but I could check it out  given time.  We still have a Withers in the village, 60+ ,  but rather eccentric,  to be honest, no clues there

I will check our archive over the next few days and let you you know. The Harby Local Group has a policy of researching family for free, however, we are not beyond accepting a modest donation.

I will be on the case in the next few days, but please bear with me as I several other queries in hand.

Keith Williams,  Chair of The Harby Local History Group.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks Keith.  I would be glad of any link between George Withers = Hannah Ellis of Westborough cum Doddington Lincs  July 1802.  George born 1779 Swinethorpe and the Harby line of Withers.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Leics. Vincent

Offline owl cottage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Re. the Withers

Check of Heath Tax 1664/1674

Negative result for the parish of North Clifton which includes, North Clifton, South Clifton, Splaldford, Thorney, Wigsley and Harby, except for an Edward Witters (Withers?) of Spaldforth, 1674.  No detail for 1664, I was just looking for Harby only.

Nottingshamshire Parish Registers, no trace for a marriage for Withers , with the exception of an Thomas Brown and Elizabeth Withers, in the chapel of Elston 16th May 0f 1803. 

I have plenty of Withers via  the Census and Parish registers,  but a George so far eludes me.  I'm still searching, but my records reside in the village hall and also my study and spare bedroom.  Sadly, I am not the best of organister and matierial is scattered over thirty odd files. 

I'll do my best over the next few days , never fear, once I get my teeth into a family history, I never give up.

Owlcottage

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 December 09 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Keith.  This is very good of you.  As I say George supposed to be born at (Eagle with) Swinethorpe according to Census.
Leics. Vincent

Offline owl cottage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 December 09 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Dear Graham,

So far I have no sight of a George and son George, could you let me know where they were in 1851.

Firstly, some correction to other message.  Thomas Brown and Elizabeth Withers were married at South Scarle, not North clifton.  Sorry, I picked up the file and failed to notice the parish.

I had a chance to visit Lincoln archives on Friday and quickly looked through the parish registers of Doddington and Eagle.  Both were very small parishs  around 1800 and it took less that an hour to trawl through the baptisms amd marriages  around the dates you gave above.

No evidence of George Wither or Hannah Ellis

Offline owl cottage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 December 09 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Dear Graham,

I had hed written more,   but somehow I hit a key and all was gone,  I'll await what comes out.

Owl  cottage

Offline owl cottage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 December 09 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Dear Graham,

I don't know what I done wrong, but half the message I wrote has gone.

I'm so cross I need 24 hours to regrain my comprosion 

keithn willaims