Author Topic: baptism for Eleanor  (Read 3328 times)

Offline sigrid7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
baptism for Eleanor
« on: Thursday 07 May 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am hoping someone can help with the baptism for Eleanor Callister she died in 1847 aged 34. I don't know what part she came from.

thanks, hopefully,

sigrid
Denbighshire: Names - Davie,s Roberts, Hughes, Williams, Phillips
Denbigh, Penythn, Ponciau, Ruabon, Ponciau
Flintshire: Names - Edwards
Ysgeifiog, Llanfwrog, Flint, Greenfield

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: baptism for Eleanor
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 May 09 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Was she single or married when she died and was Callister her birth surname?

Did she die in the IOM?  If so - whereabouts.  If not - where did she die

Who reported her death - any useful info from her death cert?

If she was married - did she marry after 1837?  If so - what was her fathers name on her marriage cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 09 22:40 BST (UK) »
Please could English researchers note  that civil registration did not start on the IoM until 1877 /1880 and that any marriage certs only repeat what is in the parish registers - parents were not noted in marriage registers until the 1840's (dates vary between parishes),   No death certificates prior to c. 1880 thus you need rely on burial registers - luckily all registers pre 1911 were officially copied (an excellent transcription) and this copy was filmed by the mormons, you can rent out these films.  An index to burials is available on www.iomfhs.im (follow research link) as are indices to all manx censuses.

The likely burial was of Elizth callister (? nee Ware )(a non Manx name) at German for which I cannot see any baptismal entry - it would be worthwile looking at the Parish reg for German as  the marriage was  18320513 - the family is in the 1841c - the family (John Elizth + son Wm) are at the Green Peel (north end of bay) - in 1851 Wm appears to be with probable grandparents on Shore Road (tho the census entry seems to say son a 68yr old mother with a 13yr old son is not exactly usual) - on 2nd thoughts there is something strange here as shore rd (in 1851) contains the green but ages are strange unless John remarried a much older 2nd wife (no marr found)

Tho Ware is not Manx there was a Hugh Ware (1st marr to Elizth Cannel 2nd to Margt Quilliam in Peel from c 1790 (he is in the 1814 Peel census) but he died prior to 1841 census - my website www.manxnotebook.com might have more
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline sigrid7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 May 09 12:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.

I know that civil registrations were much later for Manx people.
I have been on the manxnotebook site that's where I got Eleanor's burial.

She was married to Charles Sayle 23 feb 1841. The inscription is at Peel. D 18/3/1847 aged 34, husband Charles. They had three children, possibly four. The fourth I am not sure of, but Eleanor may have died in childbirth or soon after. Son? William bapt  20 mar 1847. I haven't been able to find Charles and Eleanor on the 41 census, before she died.

I would like to find Eleanor's baptism and thus her parents line.

sigrid

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 May 09 13:57 BST (UK) »
The 1841 has an Eleanor Sayle aged 28 occ seamstress living in Ballaugh.  Unfortunately no Charles to confirm the right entry.  What was Charles occupation on the marriage cert - was he a seaman?

HO107 Piece 1463/4  Folio 42 Page 8
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sigrid7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 May 09 14:13 BST (UK) »
I only have the IGI entry, that has no further information. On later census Charles was a coachman, so I don't know about bing a seaman, but it's possible.